Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djohns
Level 7

Wont Connect to wirless networks

I currently live in dorms, and the school i go to provides internet. Theres a password protected one for students, and an open one for guests. I connected my rook to the password protected wifi and it was fine for about a month till the school had internet issues and the whole thing went down. Now all of a sudden the roku won't connect to any of the school related wifi networks. and when i try connecting to the open wifi network, it says it can't connect to the "password protected" network. I did try connecting to my phone's hotspot and it connects to that no problem, but using the hotspot on my phone isn't really an option for me since it isn't apart of my plan. All of my other devices are connected to the school wifi with no issues.

Ive tried both a hard and soft reset on the device. as well as going into the hidden menu and disabling the network pings, but i don't see a difference there. My mac address was registered on a school website for the password protected network, so i disabled that and it still doesn't work. I have no idea whats going on, it's either saying that my password is incorrect or my signal isn't strong enough.  Both i know not to be true because it was working fine a week ago. 

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
9 Replies
dgrace
Level 7

Re: Wont Connect to wirless networks

You don't say what roku you have. Some networks require you to first agree to terms on a router webpage before letting network traffic flow. Did you get that with other devices?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
djohns
Level 7

I have a roku express. It doesn ask me about accepting terms, it didnt the first time i connected.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Have you tried this?
https://support.roku.com/article/215058 ... e-internet
FZ
0 Kudos
djohns
Level 7

I did see that message when i was able to establish a connection, but now I can't even connect to the wireless network. Im having trouble attaching a photo example of what is showing up on my screen when I do try to connect. but it just says "Unable to connect to wireless network"
And i never had an issue about a week ago, so it doesn't make sense to me why it doesn't want to connect.
The signal is excellent and the password is correct.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

Did anything with the network name (ssid) or password change after the network had problems? There has been issues in the past if password had some special characters in it.
FZ
0 Kudos
djohns
Level 7

No nothing has changed. I disconnected and reconnected with my other devices and it worked fine.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Level 7

To test whether the unit is working, can you take it somewhere else and try getting online?
FZ
0 Kudos
alpha3
Level 7

I have also had the same issue of not connecting to the network. I watched the unit at night, and turned it on the next morning and no connection. I have a second unit that is working correctly. I have tried every troubleshooting tip and nothing has worked. I am ready to toss it. A friend said she had the same problem and bought a new adapter and it worked properly. Any suggestions?
0 Kudos
jagreenough
Level 7

My daughter had that problem on her roku tv in the dorms. It worked for 3 months then Stopped.
They used Mac filtering and the roku Mac was correctly entered.

Contacting network support for the dorm was the solution. It took two calls, to get to the second tier support who could fix it. Try contacting ur dorm
Network support... she never had to change a thing on her end. They’ll be able to see the problem
Way better than you can.
0 Kudos