Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jhauden
Level 7

Won’t connect to wifi

I have three roku TVs, three roku boxes plus other computers and iPhones. I have no trouble with internet except for one roku box. Do they go bad? It can be right next to another getting great strength but it gets poor

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Won’t connect to wifi

@Jhauden wrote:

I have three roku TVs, three roku boxes plus other computers and iPhones. I have no trouble with internet except for one roku box. Do they go bad? It can be right next to another getting great strength but it gets poor

In general, electronic devices will last a long time, but when they fail it's sudden. Exactly which model Roku is the problem? We need the model number please, not just the name. If it's a 5 GHz WiFi it's possible that your router changed the channel it broadcasts on and your Roku doesn't support it, although that would affect all Roku devices. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Jhauden
Level 7

The device is a 3900X.  I had it plugged into a tv right next to another one in my garage.  Got great signal on the one, but the  other was poor and they both were on channel 1.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@Jhauden wrote:

The device is a 3900X.  I had it plugged into a tv right next to another one in my garage.  Got great signal on the one, but the  other was poor and they both were on channel 1.

Thanks for the info. The 3900 Express doesn't have a dual band radio, so it's 2.4 GHz only. Channel 1 is the lowest available one, and as such sometimes there's congestion near the ends. You might try changing the WiFi channel to 6, which places it in the middle of the band. I can't tell you specifically how to change it, other than you have to log into the router and change it under the radio settings. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos