Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tomgs
Reel Rookie

Won't connect to wifi extender

My Roku won't connect to the network of a wifi extender I got to boost the wifi signal in the room where the Roku is. The Roku picks up the SSID for the extender's network when searching for networks, but won't connect to it. Other devices (phone and tablet) connect to the extender's network just fine. I tried restarting the Roku and even did a factory reset. The Roku connects to our main network but says the internet connection is poor. Why won't it connect to a network that it recognizes and that other devices connect to?

48 REPLIES 48
g49link
Reel Rookie

Re: Won't connect to wifi extender

I get a 016 error code....even tried to get to the Roku platform menu to go to the system operations menu to fix  the Pings to Enable....an can't get to the platform menu....now roku is locked on "connect to wireless" an I  am using the correct wifi  name and the correct password with NO success...can't even get back to the *Home* HELP....please***

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@tomgsextenders seem to be a problem for Roku for some reason.  Do you have any strange characters in your password?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
g49link
Reel Rookie

NO...just caps n numbers.

0 Kudos
tomgs
Reel Rookie

No -- password is only letters and numbers.

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Is this a 2.4GHz extender or 5GHz?  If 2.4GHz, all I can suggest is to try different channels.  Also, check what the bandwidth is set to.  Roku may only support 20MHz.  If 5GHz, there's channels and bandwidths that aren't supported.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
PaulMedynski
Channel Surfer

Same here. I have a Netgear Nighthawk 7000 router, and a Netgear EX6250 extender. My Roku Streaming Stick+ has been working fine since I bought it back in Jan. I added the EX6250 to my network after setting up the Roku, so the Roku was setup against the Nighthawk. The EX6250 has always been closer to the Roku than the Nighthawk but I never bothered to see which AP the Roku was actually connected to.

On Saturday, I moved my router to a different room further away from the Roku, and now it won't connect to wifi. In fact, it behaves very badly - freezing and stuttering in the main menu, so it's essentially unusable. I managed to factory reset it, and now I'm stuck connecting it to a wifi network. It shows full strength for my network but won't connect to it. I assume the problem is that my Nighthawk router is too far away, so the Roku is trying to connect via the EX6250.

There are many other threads like this in the forum, where folks can't get their Roku to connect to the extended AP of a wifi network.

tomgs
Reel Rookie

I believe it's a 2.4 extender. Not sure what you mean by trying different channels. Also, how do I check what the bandwidth is?

0 Kudos
Hoth_the_Elder
Reel Rookie

This might work for you: I had the same problem with my ROKU model 4670X connecting to a Netgear EX6400v2. If the name of the extended wifi is the same as the router wifi, the connection fails.

I changed the name of the extended wifi from name-5G to name-5GExt and was able to connect the ROKU to name-5GExt with no problem.

Downside: iPhone, etc no longer automatically switches to the extender output when in the extender's area.

0 Kudos
PaulMedynski
Channel Surfer

My solution has been to physically locate the R7000 router closer to the Roku than the EX6250 extender.  The Roku has no problem connecting to the R7000 as long as its signal is "better".  It's silly to have to move network gear around, but I kept my single network name, and none of the other devices in my house have any problems.  Definitely a bug in the Roku's wifi stack.  We'll see if the next software update fixes it!

-Paul

0 Kudos