Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EricM114
Level 7

Re: Won’t connect to WiFi no matter what

The instruction given here does not solve ANYTHING. It may be necessary to start a social media campaign warning potential buyers that all ROKU products are unreliable and the ROKU does not provide the necessary customer service to resolve issues. I'm beginning to regret ever having purchased my ROKU. It worked just fine then not only me, but friends of mine locally ALL had ours stop working on the same day. This is NOT just a connectivity issue, TOO MUCH coincidence here. It's either an update screw up or this is ROKU'S way of getting us to spend more and get an upgraded product. If it isn't resolved soon I'll get rid of mine and then start a campaign on social media to inform the public that spending money on a ROKU is NOT money well spent

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@EricM114 

I completely understand your frustration. But it isn't accurate to say that ALL Roku devices have problems. There are 5 devices in my home, 3 connected via WiFi. None have ever exhibited any connectivity issues. I even have an old player from 2011 that still works, although it's so low on processing power it's useless with the latest channels so it's just sitting in a drawer.

Other than the Ultra 4800, I haven't seen any updates to the Roku OS since the middle of December. If the problem began after that date, then it wasn't a Roku update that caused it. Many users that have reported WiFi issues have found their router had changed to a channel that isn't supported by Roku devices. For the 2.4 MHz band, that would be channels 12-14. They must be on channels 1 through 11, with 1, 6 and 11 being the best choices. Almost every router self-assigns a channel number, and can change that channel without the user's knowledge.

I concur that Roku could really improve their technical support for customers. There are only a couple of Roku employees that moderate this forum, and they are not tech support. They try their best to offer advice, but Roku truly needs to step up their tech support. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
PumaBey
Level 7

like all the above but, a 32" 720p ONN HD Smart TV

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@PumaBey wrote:

like all the above but, a 32" 720p ONN HD Smart TV

A true HD TV is 1080i.  720p is standard definition. So you have a digital TV not NDTV. And now a days they have UHD or 4K  which is even better than 1080I., So you might want t9 look at getting a new TV. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@C_I 

720p is absolutely considered HD. It's the minimum resolution that meets the level. Yes, 1080i/p is considered "full HD", but 720p is still HD. Once you go above 1080, then it's considered UHD.

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
cheyenneross201
Level 7

I am having the same issue, I finally did the factory reset after multiple attempts at restarting everything on my living room Roku and now I'm stuck as the Roku won't find ANY network (neighbors or my home or guest), and know the Roku in my room is doing the same thing, I just haven't factory reset it yet since it's doing the same as the one downstairs. Every other device in my house is connected to my home wifi and it's working just fine.

0 Kudos
Kjmcclung
Level 7

It is in your router settings.   There are several posts if you go back through that give suggestions.  The 5ghz router bandwidth doesn't work with the older Rokus.  I had 3 in my house that suddenly stopped working and all other devices were fine.  I had to adjust my router settings to basically block the connection of 5ghz to my rokus my not allowing the 5ghz to connect to them.  Go back through this thread for specifics.

Hope this helps!

0 Kudos