Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lori2125
Level 7

Re: Won’t connect to WiFi no matter what

Same for me??  Very Frustrating!!

0 Kudos
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the posts.

Do you get an error message when you try to connect to your wireless network, or does the issue occur when you stream a specific channel? How far is your Roku device from your router? Have you tried connecting your Roku device to a different network and observe if you still face the issue. You can also try using a mobile hotspot as an alternate network. This will help us identify if this is a device issue or a network issue.

Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
PadraigO
Level 8

Feel free to call me or email me at my account email address. I’ll walk you through everything.  Here’s the answers to your questions:

to connect to your wireless network, or does the issue occur when you stream a specific channel? 

every channel fails - this is happening on three simultaneous Roku tvs at my house  

i will eventually get the 014.50 error when connecting to the network

How far is your Roku device from your router?

pretty close the tvs have been working for years in these exact locations  I do have xfinity network extender pods but I don’t see that as an issue  

Have you tried connecting your Rook device to a different network and observe if you still face the issue.

It connects to my iPhone generated personal network  and then streams  that phone is in turn connected to my home network  

It also seems to join my xfinitywifi guest network which does not have security protocols. I can’t quite tell for sure because the signal strength is poor and I can stream. 

0 Kudos
Kjmcclung
Level 7

Following.  Same issue.  Xfinity Arris router and 3 Roku devices - 2 TV and one Express.   Just started yesterday(2/14) with these issues.

0 Kudos
Kjmcclung
Level 7

These settings fixed mine.  Have not checked overall performance, but changing my 2.4 ghz setting and 5.0 ghz setting fixed it.  Comcast/xfinity Arris router.  This is what my settings look like now.

==========

2.4 ghz

Wifi mode 802.11 b,g,n

Channel width 40 mhz

5.0 ghz

Wifi mode 802.11 n

Channel width 20 mhz

===========

0 Kudos
PadraigO
Level 8

I also have an Arris Xfinity modem - can you explain where you made these setting changes and what you changed vs default? Thanks 

Here are my settings (they are not allowing me to modify these even though I am signed in ass admin):

2.4GhZ

Mode 802.11 g/n

WPA2-PSK (AES)(Recommended)

Channel Selection: Automatic

Channel 6

Channel Bandwith: 20 (20/40 not selected)

5GhZ

Mode 802.11 a/n/nc

Security Mode: WPA2-PSK (AES)(Recommended)

Channel Selection: Automatic

Channel 157

Channel Bandwith: 20/40/80

All TV's are connecting on the 2.4GhZ Network

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

If your Roku cannot even see your SSID, the first thing to check is the channel your wireless is using. for the 2.4 GHz band (every Roku supports this band) the channel number must be 1-11. There are some access points/routers that also offer channels 12/13, but Roku will not see or connect to those channels. For the 5 GHz band (only some Roku devices have dual band radios) The channel must be below 49 or above 148. In between those two numbers the channels are usually labeled as DFS, and Roku devices will not see or connect on those channels.

Almost every wireless router/access point by default has the channel set to Auto. This means it can change its channel without your knowledge, and if it changes to an unsupported channel your Roku that was connecting fine will no longer connect. 

On 2.4 GHz, it is recommended to use channel 1, 6 or 11, as these three have no overlap between each other. Every other channel has overlap with another channel, and this can cause interference that might make a connection difficult. Also, if you still have 802.11b enabled, see if there's a setting that only offers 802.11g or n. Almost nothing anymore uses .11b, and supporting the legacy protocol might also cause connection issues. 

Dan
Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Kjmcclung
Level 7

I used the xfinity home app to do the changes.  

View Network Details

See Network

Advanced Settings 

2.4 and 5 Ghz Wifi

0 Kudos
Kjmcclung
Level 7

I should clarify that I left auto channel and channel width selected.

0 Kudos
PadraigO
Level 8

Thanks for that. As an update, it is working this morning without any changes. I am locked out from making the changes at the WiFi level - in both the xfinity app and when I directly log into the router.  It states that they are being automatically managed and can’t be set at home. 

0 Kudos