Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
effe0525
Level 8

Wireless problem

So my Roku express no longer connects to my primary wifi.  It sees the network, it just won't connect.  Weird thing is I am able to connect to the wifi extender in the basement running on the same wifi.  I'm on the second floor so connecting to the basement isn't the desired option.  And yes, I'm sure the password is correct and I'm able to connect other devices to the primary network just fine.  I've had the same network id and password for 4 years and just yesterday Roku just decided to stop connecting to it.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10\
StreamerUser
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wireless problem

Try the Network Connection Reset:  Settings/System/Advanced system settings/Network connection reset

StreamerUser
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
effe0525
Level 8

No go.  Ran the process you suggested, it rebooted.  I reentered the network password and it still is unable to connect

0 Kudos
effe0525
Level 8

Okay, so I did a firmware update to my router and now I can connect.  I wasn't really very behind on my updates, but who knows?

AvsGunnar

@effe0525 

Sometimes rebooting both the router and the Roku is necessary when experiencing a connection or wireless SSID handshake issue.  Possible that the automatic router reboot after your firmware update resolved your issue and reestablished the connection.  

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.

0 Kudos
StreamerUser

Software (and its configuration/settings) is the key component in connectivity - and in connectivity problems.  Its crucial to keep firmware/software/drivers as updated as possible for all networked devices, so make sure to check for updates from time to time (even for devices that auto-update).

StreamerUser

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
makaiguy

Something to put in your bag of tricks should your Roku lose its network connection again in the future:

Here's what has worked for me to re-establish my net connection. I usually have to do this on my most used Roku, a Streaming Stick+, several times a month.

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection.

Doug
Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600

I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution."
0 Kudos
vvkvaranasi
Level 7

My roku premiere does not recoginse my linksys dual band router sometimes shows the ssid but poor signal even if it is set near roku stick tried and disconnects even with Dlink 615 same problem but happy to connect with hotspot of mobiles why so not able to understand. All routers tried are perfect working condition with other devices 

All all possiblities of Factory reset network reset ect., .. [personal information]

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Hi @vvkvaranasi

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community!

If you are getting an error code or message, refer to this link for common Roku error codes and their recommended actions: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Furthermore, please be advised that Roku Premiere is a single-band wireless device and is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. Ensure that your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to. 

Please keep us posted on how it goes.

All the best,
Kariza

0 Kudos
vvkvaranasi
Level 7

I have been trying only 2.4g network linksys ea6200

0 Kudos