Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Scott7556
Channel Surfer

Wireless <1 Mbps, on Streaming Stick and Ultra, Wired <1 Mbps, on Ultra. ALL OTHER DEVICES 25 Mbps!

My Rokus have slowly failed me.

Let me start by stating all other devices in the home (Smart TVs, phones, laptops, tablets) measure around 25 Mbps on both wireless and ethernet connection speed.  I have tried two different routers and both provide almost identical speeds to all other devices in the house.

With my test for each of the routers, they were no more the 1 foot from the Roku.

Streaming Stick and Roku Ulta will not measure exceed 1 Mbps with a wireless connect on either router I have tried on either 2.4 or 5 GHz. Additionally I have tried the ethernet connection on the Ultra, with both routers, and cannot exceed 1 Mbps.

I have reset and updated the Rokus, and have reset the router(s).  Rokus will not exceed 1 Mbps during system test and display the 018 error code.  I have read for hours and do not understand how to correct the issue.

Please assist.

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
Ello2022
Roku Guru

Re: Wireless <1 Mbps, on Streaming Stick and Ultra, Wired <1 Mbps, on Ultra. ALL OTHER DEVICES

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wireless &lt;1 Mbps, on Streaming Stick and Ultra, Wired &lt;1 Mbps, on Ultra. ALL OTHER DEVICES

@Scott7556 

The error code 018 is probably one of the more annoying codes because everything else will work fine except the Roku devices.  The resolution in Roku's Support is to "consider upgrading your internet to a faster connection. (https://support.roku.com/article/115015760328).  

The problem is that this is often unnecessary and just need to determine why Roku is determining the connection to be slower than it actually is. (Is it your network, your equipment, or is it Roku.).  Certainly can not rule a physical cabling issue to your internet connection since this is affecting multiple Roku devices.  

I see you are testing on 2 routers.  Make sure you have the one you are not using unplugged so as not to interfere. (would be surprised how often overlooked).

-----

Here are the first, easy things to try...(I know you tried some already, but try them again so we can dismiss)

1. From within the Roku device, navigate to Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Network Connection.

2. Restart all network equipment (router, modem, extenders, etc)

3. From a laptop, (preferably not cell phone) perform a Speed Test at https://fast.com/ while connected to the 2.4ghz band.

4. Unplug your router/modem for a couple of minutes.  Inspect all cables as best you can. Unplug/unscrew any cables, reattach while power is off.  Then reboot everything again.

-------

If above does not work and speed test still shows good speeds (report back what it is result), then login to your router and see how your settings compare to these default settings...

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels. Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

5.0 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to N/AC
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz or 20/40 mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 36-48 (low frequency band) or 149-161 (high frequency band). Roku cannot see or use channels 52-140 (DFS Channels) which an Auto Setting may be choosing. If your router allows you to Disable DFS Channels, then an Auto Setting may be used after successful troubleshooting.

Restart both your Router and Roku devices(s) after making the above changes.

-----

Experiment for now changing the wireless channels of the 2.4 ghz band. (Try 1,6,11 for now).  See if any channel gets you better speed results.  A little concerning that the ethernet is also giving you similar results which would lean a little stronger to an ISP issue initially.

Feel free to post back with info gleaned from the above.  Any improvements, anything worse, etc.  Include router model number and ISP as well.  More detailed checklist the better.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

Scott7556
Channel Surfer

Re: Wireless &lt;1 Mbps, on Streaming Stick and Ultra, Wired &lt;1 Mbps, on Ultra. ALL OTHER

Thank you for the feedback.

Here is what I have come to the conclusion of:

I started by performing various resets in the Rokus, while never powering down the modem and router. I did so for both the Streaming Stick and Ultra, trying both wired and wireless on the Ultra. This showed no improvement.

Then, since all three devices (in the case of the Ultra) were plugged into same surge protector, I shut all three off for 5 mins. Powered back up. Ultra showed 27mbps for wired and wireless, Streaming Stick showed 20mbps (was farther away). All was good, and left everything powered up.

Next day (24-ish hours later) I went to check both Rokus. Back to <1mbps.

Unpowered both modem and router ONLY, left Rokus powered, and repowered after 5 mins.  Both Rokus back in the 20s.

I seem to have to now do this power down, power up about every day to get the Rokus to run at the state network speed that i get off SpeedTest with my other devices.

I am not tech savvy so I am unsure how to pinpoint from here.

Thank you for your feedback!

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

Re: Wireless &lt;1 Mbps, on Streaming Stick and Ultra, Wired &lt;1 Mbps, on Ultra. ALL OTHER

@Scott7556  How fast is your internet? What are you paying for? Go to Fast.com on your phone or laptop and see what it says. You sure you’re connected to the same 2.4 5.0 as you’re Roku is connected to. It sounds to me like you have a very weak and slow Wi-Fi signal

0 Kudos
Scott7556
Channel Surfer

Thank you for your feedback Sue, but there a few details I believe you missed:

I have already tested my internet on various other devices, both wired and wireless as I mentioned in my initial post. This was to week out the Wi-Fi.  I have also tried Wi-Fi on both bands.  I pay for 20 and routinely get 25-20.  As I noted, the problem "fixes" itself when the modem and router is reset with a power off/power on sequence.

0 Kudos
StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@Scott7556  20-25 Mbps is very slow and barely enough to stream. Add multiple devices streaming at the same time and I’ll even lower that. Are you the only one in your home or is there multiple people with multiple devices? The more Devices you add the slower things will be especially when you already have a slow Internet connection. So how many devices do you have connected to your Wi-Fi? When you see this problem occurring how many devices are connected at that time? When you’re powering off everything you’re disconnecting everything that hooks to the Wi-Fi that’s probably why you’re seeing the speed go back up. So when you notice your Roku speed slowing down you need to do a speed test at that point on other device. So when your Roku shows 1 Mbps on a check connection test Immediately check it on your phone or laptop. 
20-25 Mbps is not enough bandwidth to support multiple devices at the same time. Or when you’re streaming disconnect every other device that using the Wi-Fi

0 Kudos
Scott7556
Channel Surfer

20-25 is plenty enough to stream on Roku, previously only had 5mbps and things worked great.

As I noted in my initial post, ALL other devices read higher speed when Rokus will not.

Only thing connected is phone, and laptop (only when working).

Only one in the house and router is on top of coffee table central to everything.

When troubleshooting Roku, made sure there were no other devices connected to network.

StreamerSue
Roku Guru

@Scott7556  I hear ya. A friend of mine was complaining his Roku Stick 4K was constantly buffering no matter what channel. Long load times too. Netflix constantly gave a spinning circle. Check connection tests on his Roku ranged from 10-12 Mbps. Sometimes 6-8 Mbps. When I went to his home I got 15 Mbps on my phone. That was even on the 5.0 GHz. Netflix recommends at least 5 Mbps. But those are bare minimum specs. My cousin upped his speed to 100 Mbps from 20 Mbps. All is issues have gone away. I know this may not be the case for you. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

@Scott7556 

What are the Roku model numbers. (Settings/System/About).

Since the System Restarts of the Roku devices did not seem to work but the physical toggling of power from the surge protector and restarting the router seemed to work, may be a couple different issues affecting each other.

The router restart is re-establishing a connection to the stalled connection.  The unplugging is rebooting the Roku devices, also re-establishing a connection.

If your Roku devices have a Power Savings feature, try disabling it and see if situation improves. 

(Settings/System/Power/Auto Power Savings and uncheck box to Disable)

Also, try disassociating the AP and establish a new connection at the Roku device.

(Settings/System/Advanced System Settings/Network Connection Reset/Reset Connection)

----

Feel free to post back with an update or still having issues.

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos