Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eitanc
Level 7

Wireless gone dead

Hi,

I have Roku 2.
I was watching a movie via the Plex app, over my wireless home network.
After the movie was over I checked for updates and the OS offered version 8. I accepted, the upgrade was performed and the device rebooted.
Now it is in a "not connected" status. When searching for wireless networks - my home Wi-Fi network is shown but when I try to connected to it - the connection fails and I don't even see its MAC address on the router log. The error is 014.30.
I tried to reboot and even unplug the power from the Roku and the same with my home AP router (although it was working find for other devices) - but none helped.
[ltr]So, it looks like version 8 ruined the wireless function. What can I do?![/ltr]

0 Kudos
8 Replies
eitanc
Level 7

Re: Wireless gone dead

FYI - I had to clear the wireless network password in Ruko and type it again - and then I was able to connect to it successfully.
0 Kudos
srglassw
Level 7

Also, just for other's information, I had a similar but different issue when upgrading to version 8. Mine is a Roku 3 and is connected via WiFi. After the upgrade to version 8 there was no Internet connection and scanning for WiFi networks no SSIDs where found. I did a manual Restart (even though a Restart is part of the update process) and the original WiFi connection was restored and working without the need to even re-enter credentials.
0 Kudos
eitanc
Level 7

Not so fast... Smiley Sad

I wanted to begin a new movie and it didn't connect to my local serve (plex), so I restarted Roku and... guess what? the wireless connection is gone again... nothing helped, not even factory reset for my Roku 2. I'm out of the game, with a brick...

Is there a way for me to locally rollback to pre-8 version?
0 Kudos
gandalf1369
Level 7

@eitanc . . .

Try this:
1. Home x 5 times
2. FF x 3 times
3. RW x 2 times
4. Click "update software"

That's how I rolled back to 7.7.
0 Kudos
eitanc
Level 7

"gandalf1369" wrote:
@eitanc . . .

Try this:
1. Home x 5 times
2. FF x 3 times
3. RW x 2 times
4. Click "update software"

That's how I rolled back to 7.7.

Thanks! And it should work even though I am not connected to any network? Roku saves locally, offline, the last working firmware?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

No, I doubt you can roll back without a network connection. But hey, try it anyway!
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
eitanc
Level 7

"atc98092" wrote:
No, I doubt you can roll back without a network connection. But hey, try it anyway!

I can try creating a temp Access-point with my phone and connect to it, and then try... Thanks for the fun Roku! Great QA!
0 Kudos
eitanc
Level 7

I apologize to Roku!
I eventually I remembered I had my access points with MAC filtering, which was what prevented the connections.

I just ask of you to add to the networking interface - both when establishing the initial connection and when viewing the current live connection - the MAC address of every connected or neighbour wireless device - it will help to direct users to what is visible to Roku and where is it connected to.

Thanks and sorry again.
0 Kudos