Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
breeg2014
Level 7

Wireless connection

Okay so I have a plugged in roku express box in my non smart tv and I have a smart tv with roku. My cell and smart tv and attached to the 5G version of my internet but my box roku has just completely stopped being able to connect. It finds the SSID name that my internet is but not the one with 5G at the end (which is what my phone and smart tv says they are connected too) I have tried all of the troubleshooting and now have done a factory reset. The trouble is not I can’t get anywhere without being able to connect to the internet (can’t even get the home screen). Do I need to unplug it all for days or just buy a new one? It’s only a year old

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wireless connection

The Roku Express does not support 5 GHz WiFi, only 2.4 GHz. The only current Roku models that support 5 GHz are the Ultra and the Stick+. 

Not to be too **bleep** about it, but 5G stands for a type of cellular service that is just barely being rolled out. WiFi is not referred to as 5G. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
breeg2014
Level 7

I guess I just mean that the WiFi is showing up with two names now on my phone and on one tv. DA32 and DA32-5G. The tv with the problem is only finding da32. I tried manually entering it before I did a factory reset. I honestly know nothing about this stuff. Should I need to contact Vyve?

0 Kudos
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

@breeg2014 wrote:

I guess I just mean that the WiFi is showing up with two names now on my phone and on one tv. DA32 and DA32-5G. The tv with the problem is only finding da32. I tried manually entering it before I did a factory reset. I honestly know nothing about this stuff. Should I need to contact Vyve?

Assuming DA32 is the 2.4 GHz radio and DA32-5G is the 5 GHz radio, the only devices that will see the second one are devices that support 5 GHz. As I mentioned, the Express does not, so it will only see DA32. Virtually all WiFi enabled devices support 2.4 GHz, but there are many devices that do not support 5 GHz. It doesn't sound like you have any problems, as long as you can connect to the DA32 radio.

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos