Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BethanyDattolo
Level 7

Wireless Issues

My Roku Premiere has worked great until all of a sudden it won't connect to our wireless internet. I have restarted the router more than once (even though every other device still connects to it) and I have restarted our roku more than once. It is very close to the router and hasn't been moved since it stopped working. Error code 014.30 but the only solution Roku has is to restart everything. Done. Still not working. Any other ideas? We've only had the thing for a few months! This is super frustrating.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Wireless Issues

First, I'm assuming your Roku still sees your network, but simply can't connect. 

Sometimes interference from other sources can impact the ability for it to connect. Moving the Roku a few inches one way or another might help. Changing the channel that your wireless router uses for its 2.4 GHz radio can also sometimes improve the issue. 

Another thing to check in the router is what protocols are enabled. It's highly unlikely you still have anything that uses 802.11b, so you can change your router to only use 802.11g/n.

Since your Premiere is still pretty new, it's still under warranty from Roku. You can check to see if it will connect to any wireless by trying it with a phone hotspot. That's assuming you have one, or someone you know with a smartphone will allow you to try theirs.

There is a setting in the menu to reset your network connections. This wipes your saved network settings, in case something there is corrupted.  

Worst case scenario would be to do a factory reset and see if that clears any corrupted entries. You'd have to set it up again as if it's new out of the box. If it still fails, then contact Roku for a warranty replacement. You can send a private message to @RokuDanny-R for assistance. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
barbiekilledken
Level 7

I have been having the exact same issue today... I have also reset everything, even factory reset the roku device... nothing has worked. The Roku will connect to my mobile Hotspot, but it will not connect to my home wifi. I do not have the premiere, but the express.

0 Kudos
jalandsgl
Level 7

Why are we all of a sudden having the same issue starting around the same time.  The same thing happened to me tonight.  all of a sudden my on tv will not connect to the wifi.  My other two are having no problems.

0 Kudos
barbiekilledken
Level 7

I read other posts and people are saying it was because of the most recent update? Something about Roku not recognizing or connecting to a wifi that was more than 2.4GHz.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

@barbiekilledken Most Roku devices only work on the 2.4 GHz band. Of the current models, the Stick+, Ultra (all versions) and the soundbars support 5 GHz, but none of the rest do. Some (much) older devices support 5 GHz, and at least some models of Roku TVs (but that's manufacturer dependent, as Roku doesn't make the TVs). 

On the 2.4 GHz band, there are 14 available channels. In the US, only 1-11 are permitted, so Roku devices only work on 1-11. Some routers can use 12, 13 and 14, and if they auto-select one of those channels they become invisible to Roku devices. 

For routers that are using a channel between 1 and 11, sometimes it's the legacy protocol of 802.11b that is messing things up. Since almost any WiFi device sold within the last 5-7 year supports at least 802.11g, it can sometimes help by turning off .11b in the router. Some routers have a checkbox that says "legacy" or something similar, and turning that off has helped some users as well. 

If you have a Roku Express (any model) or any version of the Premiere newer than model 4620/4630, they are single band only, so no 5 GHz. Roku hasn't caused that with an update. They simply don't have a 5 GHz radio inside, and have never supported 5 GHz. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos