Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bozack90
Level 7

Wired or Wireless, how do you connect?

Hello All,

So I currently have the following
2 x Roku 3
1 x Roku 4
1 x Roku Ultra
1 x Roku Gen 1 Stick

All with the exception of the stick are wired however after upgrading my AP I wonder if I am better served running over wireless or if wired is still preferred should the option be available?

Just curious as to how most connect and if there are any benefits to either wired or wireless?

Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Wired or Wireless, how do you connect?

Unless you're 4K streaming media from a server on your home network, the wired connection is more than sufficient for any online streaming usage. Most online sites top out at no higher than 20 Mbps, and your wired connection is capable of almost 100 Mbps. Yes, wireless 802.11N or AC is capable of 300 Mbps or more, but nothing available online will came anywhere near that speed. But again, if you have UHD Blu Ray rips that you stream from a local server, then the wired connection can become a bottleneck. Of course, only your 4 and Ultra are capable of playing such a video. And the 4 doesn't support HDR, so it wouldn't look very good streaming virtually any UHD rip.  Smiley Very Happy
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
bozack90
Level 7

Thanks, I have always preferred the stability of the wired connection but didn't realize the Rokus were 10/100 until recently, I am not playing any 4K content locally yet but will keep this in mind should I start to and might experiment with wifi now that I have upgraded my system to an Orbi.
0 Kudos
bozack90
Level 7

Double
0 Kudos