Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Keith3
Level 8

Wifi too slow to function despite excellent wireless connection

I have a 4670x roku ultra and a Netgear r6900p router.  The roku ultra is less than 2 months old and replaced a roku premiere which was about 9 months old when it started suffering a very similar problem.  Everything was working good, then started getting errors and delays when populating content such as the channel view in sling.  Now, it's basically unusable.  According to roku system, the wireless connection is excellent but the internet fails.  According to Netflix check network, the internet connection speed is around 0.1 - 0.5 mbps.

I've power cycled the roku, wiped the network settings, restarted the router, tried different channels, moved the roku closer to the router, moved it higher, moved it to the other side of the tv, etc.  I'm in a sparsely populated area and my wifi router is the only one that shows up in the list of networks.   I've also switched to my old IR remote and disabled pairing to get rid of the direct wifi connection coming from the roku.  I'm using 5ghz, but also tried 2.4ghz with the same result.

According to the wireless secret screen, my SNR is in the mid 30s, antennas vary from mid 60s to mid 70s dependent on how I position the roku.  It's only about 8 feet from my access point with a single internal wall separating them.  If I position my laptop or android phone in the same position as the roku and run speedtest.net, it reports a speed of 145mbps on the same wireless network.  

The roku was working fine and now it basically useless due to very poor speeds.  Nothing changed with my wireless network.  I do see that the roku has a system update done on 8/7, but I don't know if this lines up with when the issues started.  All other devices work great.  This is the second roku this has done this in a few months.  Any ideas what is going on here and suggestions on how to fix?

Is this just a quality problem with the wifi portion of roku devices?

Labels (1)
10 Replies
Keith3
Level 8

Re: Wifi too slow to function despite excellent wireless connection

Followup... I enabled the hotspot feature on my phone (galaxy s9+), configured to share my wifi (not the cell connection).  I connected my roku to the connection on my phone.  From the wireless secret screen, the antenna numbers are now in the 35-45 range and SNR is 27-33.  These numbers appear worse than when my roku was connected directly to my wireless.  But, when I go to the netflix app on my roku and run 'check your network', it shows network speed of 75mbps.  Not sure what this means.

Oh wonderful.  I switched the roku back to directly connecting to my wireless and now it is doing better.  The netflix 'check network' is now showing a speed of 105mpbs.

So maybe switching the roku to a different network temporarily may have reset something that a 'network reset' did not?

0 Kudos
RedsNJ3
Level 7

I just had this issue last night with my Roku player as well - I had downloaded a free trial of Sling and it kept cutting out on my TV, saying the connection wasn't good, even though all lights were on and my phone/laptop was working fine. I ended up having to watch on my laptop as Sling on my TV kept cutting out. Is it the Roku or something with the Sling on my TV v. my laptop??? 

0 Kudos
Keith3
Level 8

In my situation, this most definitely was not sling, although sling was where it was most obvious.  the network connection test in the roku settings showed very poor performance as did the network check inside the netflix app.  There was no reason for me to have poor network performance and the poor network performance remained no matter what I tried.  Until, I connected the roku to a different access point (my cell phone) and the performance improved vastly.  Then I switched the roku back to the original access point and the performance was great also.

0 Kudos
RedsNJ3
Level 7

Wow thanks for responding, Keith3! Would it be asking too much for you to give a brief step-by-step of your reconnecting process? (ie Reconnecting for Dummies :-D )  (I also have an Android phone, though not a Samsung.) 

0 Kudos
SG9328
Level 8

Seems many Roku products have similar defects.  Not sure how this company does so well in the market.  I bought a Roku streaming stick (40% higher than the firestick (which I have 4 of now and will NEVER BUY ROKU AGAIN)).  No problems on my Firesticks, however, my one Roku streaming stick

1) after about 6 months, the only way to get the 3800x stick to turn on was to unplug and reboot the stick

2) Roku sent me a new one and that one is about 6 feet from a TP Link AC1750 router

3) after a few weeks, when you check the speed the Roku says "good wifi signal strentgh, speed 0-1Mbps" !! WTF?

>> you can see the RSSI signal strength is high.  Also the Roku seems pegged to channel 36.  Is this stick only capable of using a 20 Mhz channel?

- unplug the Roku ==> no change

- reset the Roku ==>> no change

- forget the Wi-Fi and re-associate ==> no change

- unplug and reboot the TP Link router ==> no change

- Unplug and reboot the Cable Modem and wallah - I now get 46 mbps

I have to unplug my cable modem every few weeks (none of the other 14 devices on my network have any issues, just for Roku I need to reboot my cable modem)

ROKU QUALITY IS AWFUL.  BUY FIRESTICKS !!

UPDATE : Sept 9 2020:

Submitted a service ticket.  Respondent recommended I do a "FACTORY RESET", I did that (and fortunately Roku saves settings so wasn't that awful to reload all the apps).  So far I haven't had to reset my cable modem (2 weeks) so hoping that fixes the issue.  If not, I'm tossing the Roku.

bulldogmike
Level 7

I am having the same issues with Error 018. My Roku constantly buffers and says I have slow download speeds but I now have AT&T Fiber with the Google Nest Mesh system and I did a speed test and have 916 MBPS download speeds but Roku keeps saying I have slow speeds. Seems like with all I’ve read this ##RokuPremiere is a complete POS.

0 Kudos
SG9328
Level 8

Update Sept 14

issue not fixed. Same symptoms. Speed shows below 4 Mbps. Reset wireless, reset stick shows 15 Mbps but 10 minutes later below 4 Mbps. Reset cable model is the only fix. I’m tossing this **bleep** Roku and recommend you all buy FIRESTICKS !!

@SG9328 wrote:

Seems many Roku products have similar defects.  Not sure how this company does so well in the market.  I bought a Roku streaming stick (40% higher than the firestick (which I have 4 of now and will NEVER BUY ROKU AGAIN)).  No problems on my Firesticks, however, my one Roku streaming stick

1) after about 6 months, the only way to get the 3800x stick to turn on was to unplug and reboot the stick

2) Roku sent me a new one and that one is about 6 feet from a TP Link AC1750 router

3) after a few weeks, when you check the speed the Roku says "good wifi signal strentgh, speed 0-1Mbps" !! WTF?

>> you can see the RSSI signal strength is high.  Also the Roku seems pegged to channel 36.  Is this stick only capable of using a 20 Mhz channel?

I have to unplug my cable modem every few weeks (none of the other 14 devices on my network have any issues, just for Roku I need to reboot my cable modem)

Submitted a service ticket.  Respondent recommended I do a "FACTORY RESET", I did that (and fortunately Roku saves settings so wasn't that awful to reload all the apps).  So far I haven't had to reset my cable modem (2 weeks) so hoping that fixes the issue.  If not, I'm tossing the Roku.

0 Kudos
SG9328
Level 8

Sept 14 update. Factory reset did nothing. Still reverts to below 4 Mbps connection even though it’s 6 ft from the WiFi router. BUY FIRESTICKS. Roku heading to trash

@SG9328 wrote:

Update Sept 14

issue not fixed. Same symptoms. Speed shows below 4 Mbps. Reset wireless, reset stick shows 15 Mbps but 10 minutes later below 4 Mbps. Reset cable model is the only fix. I’m tossing this **bleep** Roku and recommend you all buy FIRESTICKS !!

@SG9328 wrote:

0 Kudos
XseeNMTv
Level 9

ROKU devices are consumable. They have a designed life of ~18 months after which the wireless cards / antenna die.

Do not assume that these will last.

Do not expect any customer support.

0 Kudos