Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jjadus
Level 8

Wifi router with USB file sharing connection

Hi,  I'm getting a WiFi router with a USB port for file sharing over my home network like a NAS.  Is there a Roku app which will allow my Roku Ultra to access a 2TB 3.0 USB portable hard drive.  Probably only videos and images would be recognizable.   Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 17

Re: Wifi router with USB file sharing connection

Yes. This sharing is called DLNA, and the Roku Media Player (that's the name of the channel) supports it. However, be aware that your media has to either use supported codecs and containers, or your DLNA server (that's what the router is providing) must be able to transcode the media. It's extremely unlikely the router can transcode, so your media must be supported. That means it has to be in the proper container (MKV, MP4, TS/M2TS or MOV) and use a supported codec (H.264/265, MP4, MPEG-2, VC-9 video and AC3/AAC/PCM audio) . See this page for more complete information. 

If any of your media is unsupported, and you don't want to take the time to convert them, another option is to install a media server on a computer on your network. Windows, Mac, Linux, it doesn't matter, because there are DLNA servers for them all. If you want a dedicated Roku app for one, Plex or Emby are good choices. If you are happy with Roku Media Player, I suggest trying Serviio. But there are many available on the market. Windows itself has a basic DLNA server function, but it's transcoding ability is limited and you have to way to configure or customize it,

Disclaimer: I don't work for Serviio, but I did create the profiles it includes for Roku devices. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
jjadus
Level 8

Hi, Thanks for the information.   Most of the video in my library will be in the MKV, MP4 and a few in the old AVI format.  I occasionally have issues with no audio in the Roku Media Player.  I don't really understand why the audio works with VLC media player but not in the Roku Media Player. 

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

@jjadus wrote:

Hi, Thanks for the information.   Most of the video in my library will be in the MKV, MP4 and a few in the old AVI format.  I occasionally have issues with no audio in the Roku Media Player.  I don't really understand why the audio works with VLC media player but not in the Roku Media Player. 

The AVI files will not play on a Roku at all. With the MKV container, it can literally hold any codec, so it may play, you may get video or audio only, or it may not play at all. No audio during playback means it's not using the AC3 (DD), PCM or 2 channel AAC codec. The video will play but no sound.

VLC is a fantastic video player that supports virtually any codec, but they say they will never create a version for Roku because of the differences in the programming languages used. RMP will only play media that is supported by the Roku OS. It's really just a front end with DLNA connectivity, and the Roku OS is handling all the playback.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos