Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Streams
Level 7

Wifi reception with Stick+

Here's an odd one...

Due to the great sale they had on the Stick+ recently I ended up buying one and putting it in my living room.  I've had many Rokus there, going back all the way to the original.  The Wifi reception has always been excellent since the Router is in the den which is about 28 feet away and only separated by a partial wall (a doorway without a door).

Recently I had the new 2017 Stick there.  Before that was the older 2016 Stick.  Both said Excellent.  The 2017 Stick is now in the bedroom, much further away and many walls in between, it now bounces back and forth between Good and Excellent.

The Stick+ in the living room constantly says Good, it never said excellent.  I just find this odd because it's supposed to have better reception than the other sticks with that little dongle.  The actual viewing experience is perfect.  But it's strange that it doesn't say excellent for the reception.  Anyone else notice the Stick+ reception seeming less than the other Sticks?  Maybe the Stick+ uses a different scale since it can go much further?

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Rclewen
Level 7

Re: Wifi reception with Stick+

What wifi band are you using? I notice that my Stick+ shows poor-good on 5Ghz but excellent on 2.4Ghz.  
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Also are all the Sticks powered off TV USB or wall charger?
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

All of them have been power off the TV USB port.

Do you think the Stick+ might require more power to run and that's why it's connecting at a lower level?

"Rclewen" wrote:
What wifi band are you using? I notice that my Stick+ shows poor-good on 5Ghz but excellent on 2.4Ghz.  

I am not sure.  I will look.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

"beq" wrote:
Also are all the Sticks powered off TV USB or wall charger?

They all come with a wall wart, but the power cable can disconnected from it and then you just have a USB connection. My only caution is that just because the TV has a USB port doesn't mean it is sufficient for powering the Roku. Most are, but there's a few that don't supply enough current.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
beq
Level 8

Yeah I think we were curious if the Stick+ accepts more power for full functionality (having 4K, double RAM/flash, extended Wi-Fi receiver and all that)?
0 Kudos
Streams
Level 7

Hmmmmmm, I figured it would either work or not work.  Having functions work not as well is not something that I like.  
0 Kudos