Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielHenry
Level 7

Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat?

I apologize upfront if this has been solved but I haven't seen my symptom reported yet.

Setup: Hisense Roku TV with DLINK DIR-655 wireless router.

When connected I'm getting fast downloads for 1080p quality vid with uninterrupted service all night. The next day I turn on the TV and can't connect (no IP addr). Try reconnecting using standard network with no luck (error code 014). To remedy this, I spend 10 minutes either simultaneously rebooting my router and Roku system reboot through secret screen until it finally connects, or I log into my router and start changing the wireless channel until Roku is happy again (usually end up on channel 1, 3, 10 or 11 but I have connected on all). Once I reconnect, I'm good for the night and it's a **bleep** shoot if it reconnects the next day. I'm no wireless expert, but all my other devices in the house work flawlessly and get 29Mbs download/5Mbs upload through the same router and ISP. My network is set to mixed mode n/g/b, and I've set the router to reserve the same IP for the Hisense/Roku mac just for kicks. The router isn't in the ideal spot: it's about 25linear feet away but goes through two internal walls and entertainment center (my other devices connect throughout the house at greater distances/obstacles). Once connected, the Roku secret antenna screen has one or both antennas in the Green with a SNR of 25 or so. But as I said, it's a rock star while connected seems to lose it's mind after powered off. It's a recoverable inconvenience for me but a virtual show stopper for the wife & kids.

Thanks for any help/insight. I read briefly about hardwire lan using usb dongle but haven't look into it. I'd prefer to get wireless working.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat?

I use Ethernet and its certainly less problematic as in no problems.

For some reason your connection is disconnecting probably due to interference

from all your other stuff.

I would recommend using Dynamic IP addressing.

Settings/Network/Check connection  may change your luck

D-Link is a perfectly fine make.

I'm not real familiar with Roku TV's but I hope when you power it off that does not

shut power to the Roku within. Otherwise there is no real reason to power it off

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat?

For RokuTVs, somewhere in the Settings for Power (I believe) there's something like "Instant on" (sorry, I can't remember exactly what it's called) that should keep the connection alive even when the TV is "off".

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.