Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DanielHenry
Level 7

Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat?

I apologize upfront if this has been solved but I haven't seen my symptom reported yet.

Setup: Hisense Roku TV with DLINK DIR-655 wireless router.

When connected I'm getting fast downloads for 1080p quality vid with uninterrupted service all night. The next day I turn on the TV and can't connect (no IP addr). Try reconnecting using standard network with no luck (error code 014). To remedy this, I spend 10 minutes either simultaneously rebooting my router and Roku system reboot through secret screen until it finally connects, or I log into my router and start changing the wireless channel until Roku is happy again (usually end up on channel 1, 3, 10 or 11 but I have connected on all). Once I reconnect, I'm good for the night and it's a **bleep** shoot if it reconnects the next day. I'm no wireless expert, but all my other devices in the house work flawlessly and get 29Mbs download/5Mbs upload through the same router and ISP. My network is set to mixed mode n/g/b, and I've set the router to reserve the same IP for the Hisense/Roku mac just for kicks. The router isn't in the ideal spot: it's about 25linear feet away but goes through two internal walls and entertainment center (my other devices connect throughout the house at greater distances/obstacles). Once connected, the Roku secret antenna screen has one or both antennas in the Green with a SNR of 25 or so. But as I said, it's a rock star while connected seems to lose it's mind after powered off. It's a recoverable inconvenience for me but a virtual show stopper for the wife & kids.

Thanks for any help/insight. I read briefly about hardwire lan using usb dongle but haven't look into it. I'd prefer to get wireless working.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
boogernose
Level 18

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat?

I use Ethernet and its certainly less problematic as in no problems.

For some reason your connection is disconnecting probably due to interference

from all your other stuff.

I would recommend using Dynamic IP addressing.

Settings/Network/Check connection  may change your luck

D-Link is a perfectly fine make.

I'm not real familiar with Roku TV's but I hope when you power it off that does not

shut power to the Roku within. Otherwise there is no real reason to power it off

---A problem clearly stated is a problem half solved---.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat?

For RokuTVs, somewhere in the Settings for Power (I believe) there's something like "Instant on" (sorry, I can't remember exactly what it's called) that should keep the connection alive even when the TV is "off".