Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat

@yxngmarzzy69 

Thanks for the inquiry.

We'd recommend checking out some wireless troubleshooting tips here: 
What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please keep us posted!

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Same problem with Roku TV.  Spent 3 days on phone with TV manufacturer and then CenturyLink my internet provider.  Finally, a knowledgeable technician walked me through changing from block to allow special characters and voila! the problem was solved.  Unless you're tech savy this would not be something you would know or try yourself.  There are multiple settings.  Your explanation on special characters in the Roku device name makes sense.

Surprised this particular issue has not appeared in other discussion forums or online videos addressing the problem.  Internet providers should also be aware, especially since so many people are cutting the cord and streaming.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repe

oh my gosh!!! I cannot believe that this worked! I have been restarting, reconfiguring, factory resetting, turning on, turning off, leaving off, and restarting my TCL Roku TV and wireless router ALL day! I have watched YouTube videos and read forums without success until I read this response! I changed my DNS to "static" and 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and it worked! I have a Centurylink router so I had to google how to access that router etc. But it worked! I am so happy. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repe

I picked up a used Insignia TV w/built-in Roku tonight.  Roku TV 5302X, Insignia model NS-32DR420CA16.

Seller was upfront about the Roku wireless portion not working properly. Everything else was fine.  

Sure enough I got it home and it would not connect to my wireless network even when TV placed right next to router.  Gave me the dreaded 14.50 error.  I tried a factory reset.  Still no success. 

Updated the TV firmware via USB.  Again no success connecting to network.

Then I went into the 'secret' wireless menu and disabled network pings.  Still no wifi connection

Finally, within the secret wireless menu I tried Radios settings.  There I changed to TX: 2 RX: 1.  

Success!  Was able to connect to wireless network .  Internet working great, it added all my Roku channels. 

Hope this can help someone else with similar problems. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

@ambro wrote:
I was having a similar issue but never was able to connect no matter what channel or security settings I used. Even without security, it would not connect. I spent probably 10 hours over the course of 3 days trying different security settings, DNS servers, etc. to try and fix it with no luck. Finally found a setting in the router admin GUI called "Set the DHCP name special character state", which defaults to "Block Special Characters". Changing this to "Allow Special Characters" and using default DNS severs fixed the problem for me.

When trying to assign an IP address to the Roku Stick initially, the device must have some special character in its name which prevents the DHCP from assigning it an IP address with the default settings... I also went in and reserved an IP address for the Roku Stick MAC address, but I'm not sure whether that is necessary or not. I have not tried removing this IP address reservation and don't plan to.

Hope this is able to help someone else. For reference, this was using a Roku Stick with a CenturyLink C844G modem/router.

So long story short, instead of using this setting, which is not on my router and doesn't sound like a good idea. I changed the linked device name, to remove any non alphanumeric characters, in my roku account. Connected using phone's WiFi to pick up setting change. Then having already done a WiFi reset reentered the password and it connected first time. Having given nothing but errors all day, and before that a router reset with the roku device on seemed to work, but that went from once a day to multiple times a day to no connection.

I could see the roku TV connected to AP, but it wasn't getting assigned an IP.

Its working for now will update if stops again. Hope this helps someone

0 Kudos
Level 7

WiFi error 014 fix. Using a guest account for my WiFi only using numbers and letters for the password did the trick. Roku doesn’t like special characters like &!?@*#~ or any other. It’s a shame that Roku doesn’t allow use of these characters because a password with special characters is much more secure. I tried for about a week to link my WiFi to my Roku until I read a comment about the issues with Roku not liking special characters. It was as simple as using a guest account on my WiFi router without the aforementioned characters. Hope this helps others. It really helped me. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Thank you so much!! I spent a week trying to figure it out thinking it was an issue with my TV. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

@Ohioron wrote:

WiFi error 014 fix. Using a guest account for my WiFi only using numbers and letters for the password did the trick. Roku doesn’t like special characters like &!?@*#~ or any other. It’s a shame that Roku doesn’t allow use of these characters because a password with special characters is much more secure. I tried for about a week to link my WiFi to my Roku until I read a comment about the issues with Roku not liking special characters. It was as simple as using a guest account on my WiFi router without the aforementioned characters. Hope this helps others. It really helped me. 

I've got 3 Ultras wired. I had trouble when connecting wireless, and with a 63 character password and no way to copy/paste to input the password in the Roku, I didn't bother, especially after reading this. Now, with no HBO Max app for the Roku, I wanted to try wireless for screen mirroring, so I decided to see which of the special characters were unacceptable. Turns out none of them are. My password contains all of the above special characters and more. My problem was in choosing the wrong key on the Roku virtual keyboard for a comma; I had been using what looked like a comma on the numpad area of the keyboard, when I should have used the key below the question mark.

I don't find any non-standard restriction on acceptable passwords. If I did, and I had to change the password in my router and all my devices, or add a guest network to accommodate Roku, I'd contact Roku support for a firmware update to fix it, or demand a replacement with a model that works.

So, Roku support, if the previous post is correct, are there any models of Roku that currently have a problem accepting certain characters in the wireless password? I'm sure some customers would like to avoid those.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 8

Its definitely a garbage product Roku is selling in the market. I had it working for a day and that's it, the ROKU never ever connected to Wifi again. I have all other devices working seamlessly including Amazon Prime Stick, laptops etc. If ROKU is the only one having problem connecting to wireless connection its the Roku's problem and not the internet. That too it was very hard to have the WIFI set up for the first time involves lot if tweeking to your internet settings.

ROKU is not for common man who doesn't have any internet technical knowledge

I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE TO BUY ROKU PRODUCTS AS ITS A GARBAGE THEY ARE SELLING IN THE MARKET AND TRYING TO MAKE MONEY. THERE IS NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT AVAILABLE FOR THE ROKU PRODUCTS ONCE YOU BUY.

0 Kudos