Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat

I was having a similar issue but never was able to connect no matter what channel or security settings I used. Even without security, it would not connect. I spent probably 10 hours over the course of 3 days trying different security settings, DNS servers, etc. to try and fix it with no luck. Finally found a setting in the router admin GUI called "Set the DHCP name special character state", which defaults to "Block Special Characters". Changing this to "Allow Special Characters" and using default DNS severs fixed the problem for me.

When trying to assign an IP address to the Roku Stick initially, the device must have some special character in its name which prevents the DHCP from assigning it an IP address with the default settings... I also went in and reserved an IP address for the Roku Stick MAC address, but I'm not sure whether that is necessary or not. I have not tried removing this IP address reservation and don't plan to.

Hope this is able to help someone else. For reference, this was using a Roku Stick with a CenturyLink C844G modem/router.
Highlighted
Level 7

wow! Ambro, you saved me. I had the same problem you did and was about to return the Roku, but changing the setting to unblock special characters did it for me. I had the same router/modem as you. THANKS!
Highlighted
Level 12

Yeah, if you have a "+" device Roku foolishly used the "+" in their host names which is not RFC compliant.  So any DHCP server that is following RFC rules will not hand out an address to these devices.

I'm not sure how this got past their dev team...
Highlighted
Level 20

"kevindavis" wrote:
To resolve roku error 014 permanentaly callroku support

DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS SITE! IT IS NOT ROKU SUPPORT!
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have the same problem but my modem model is mini bhs (rta9211w-d112), anyone knows that modem?
0 Kudos
Level 7

Hello,
I have the exact same issue. And don't worry even hardwired to the router you will have the same issues connecting. Once it's connected it works great of course. My mom is afraid to turn off her tv because she knows that when she does, she will have the same issues connecting. Very frustrating indeed. Now I have a different TV than yours. I have a Sharp with built in Roku telling me it's either a firmware issue for the Roku or just bad hardware. I immediately switched to a lined connection thinking this would make it much easier for the device to connect but that really isn't so. I am also approx. 25 Ft, even less actually to the router and going thru just one wall. We have also messed with all the settings inside the router and just like you have assigned ip's to all devices within the network because initially it was stealing my computer's ip address. kept getting message on my computer about a conflict. But to no avail...that did not work either. I have run out of options and out of time in returning this hunk o junk. Fairly upsetting since the only reason we got the TV was for the ability to connect to the internet.  
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Okay fingers crossed I may have solved my problem. I read somewhere on here that routers default to assigned ip's that last only 3600 minutes which is an hour. This person suggested setting them to 1 week which is 604,800 minutes I did it on both the ivp4 and the ivp6 because just extending the ivp4 reservation did not do it. I had to reserve the ivp6 and once I did the router reset and my moms roku connected almost instantly..which never happened. In fact even after resetting the modem she would still have to try several times and it would make several attempts before finally connecting. She was able to get on right away after I did that. Hope this helps you.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I should also mention that this could just be a fluke and have nothing to do at all with changing that or she may have been able to get on simply because the router was reset - although as mentioned in the past that has never happened.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

"ambro" wrote:
I was having a similar issue but never was able to connect no matter what channel or security settings I used. Even without security, it would not connect. I spent probably 10 hours over the course of 3 days trying different security settings, DNS servers, etc. to try and fix it with no luck. Finally found a setting in the router admin GUI called "Set the DHCP name special character state", which defaults to "Block Special Characters". Changing this to "Allow Special Characters" and using default DNS severs fixed the problem for me.

When trying to assign an IP address to the Roku Stick initially, the device must have some special character in its name which prevents the DHCP from assigning it an IP address with the default settings... I also went in and reserved an IP address for the Roku Stick MAC address, but I'm not sure whether that is necessary or not. I have not tried removing this IP address reservation and don't plan to.

Hope this is able to help someone else. For reference, this was using a Roku Stick with a CenturyLink C844G modem/router.

OMG, thank you kind stranger! I just spent 2 freaking hours trying to fix this and I have the same CenturyLink Calix C844G and was getting 014.50 and 014.40 errors constantly, changing this setting worked perfectly. I had to make an account just to thank you!
To get slightly more into what is causing this issue is because the device name for my 4K Roku stick is "Roku Streaming Stick+" and that stupid little plus sign was why you have to change this setting because it is a special character. Now why the Calix C844G even has such a setting and why it is on by default is beyond me, but hopefully someone else with this same issue will come across this thread in the future!
Highlighted
Level 7

I need help my roku box isn't connecting to my wireless wifi and it is still not working I need urgent help !!!!!!

0 Kudos