Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repe

"kdimeg" wrote:
I think I have this solved problem

Sigh... no I don't. It seemed to last for a couple weeks and shortly after triumphantly posting this the symptom came back.

Is there anybody out there with an answer?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Try a new router. Consumer routers are a crapshoot at best. Stick with cisco stuff, the small business line isnt too far off the pricing of the cheap consumer stuff. I have never had issues with any cisco gear of any of their product lines.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11

I too have the 655 and it works great, even through a wall and upstairs from my two rokus. They have a great user forum for help, so I'd give that a try before buying another router.
Is your network ssid set to something other than the default? I've seen where two default ssid networks are close enough, and both have competing signals, where a device will switch one to another.
Also, check the firmware version in the dlink. One the forum they give their recommended upgrade procedure to follow, and there have been some buggy versions. Mine is the B version, so I'm speaking of what I know about that.
My method of troubleshooting a network issue is to set it up extremely simple.Turn off QOS and WMM, put it on the clearest channel, not Auto, turn off security, set it at G only, etc.
Another test is to acquire a long ethernet cable and see if its the wifi or some device conflicts. If a cable fixes the problems consider using a powerline ethernet adapter that utilizes your in wall power wiring to carry network signal to the device. This cheap solution fixed my family members issue when streaming netflix through several rooms.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

"scottd34" wrote:
Try a new router. Consumer routers are a crapshoot at best. Stick with cisco stuff, the small business line isnt too far off the pricing of the cheap consumer stuff. I have never had issues with any cisco gear of any of their product lines.

I struggled with my DIR-655 for years (it worked fine with everything but my Roku 2XS) before I finally gave up and bought a TP-LINK Archer C5. That solved the problems.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Wifi one day, Error 014.50 the next. Rinse, Lather, Repeat

I was having the same problem . Tried al fixes, nothing worked. Noticed my hdmi cable had a loose connector piece & replaced it. No more problems. I have 3 roku's & the others worked fine, so I knew it was either a bad unit or cable , not the wifi.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have this exact problem. Error code 014.50. With the Dlink 655. To get the rokus to connect, I have to change my wifi password, then change back. With my roku 3, if the box was disconnected from power, 50% of the time I had to do this. We just got a stick and EvERY time we turn on the TV, the roku menu is on and the wifi connection is lost.

The suggestion from the error screen is to add the mac address. I've done this, nothing. Firmware on router is updated. nothing. secret roku screen settings, nada. 

While I think having to get a new router is a waste of money, has anyone seen this issue an on an airport? Had been thinking about switching for a while for printer functionality and some other things. (we're all macs and ipads). Thanks
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20

I have a Insignia Roku TV connected with Wi-Fi and have never had an issue. It connects to a Linksys router on which I've installed DD-WRT firmware. I also have a Roku Stick that I use when traveling, and I've never had an issue either connecting to my D-Link travel router or the hotel wireless. It has been hot or miss getting the hotel authentication to work, but never had an issue actually connecting to the wireless itself. 
Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

If you connect to WiFi then fail at Local Area Network, you should get error 014.50

The Roku message will say something about MAC address. 

Go into your routers advanced settings and manually add that MAC address. 

That worked for me today - Roku failed to connect after using successfully for a month on the new router.   Will see what happens tomorrow. 
0 Kudos
Level 11

And I trust that you have a unique ssid (network name) and not just the default? 
Have you been keeping up with router firmware updates? 
If you do decide that you need to open your wallet, maybe consider a powerline ethernet adapter and run ethernet to the tv from the nearest power outlet. Any new router and you'll still be fooling with wifi.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

I have two express+ players The first one worked fine, no problems. The second one worked for a day, then got the 14.50 error. I tried multiple reboots of roku and router, cleared its entry from the router table and disabled ping. I finally did a factory reset and that worked. I also switched to using the supplied usb power plug instead of plugging into the tv's usb. Hopefully this helps someone else.
0 Kudos