Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ceejaymusic
Level 7

Wifi is Slow despite being next to Access Point on 5G with Excellent signal strength

I have a TV and a 4k Roku Stick... its literally 6 feet away from my netgear access point with 5G and 400Mbps download speed.  I have a PC also on the 5G a little farther from the access point and I get 300+ download. When i run the Roku speed test it says Excellent signal with 15Mbps speed.  Something is very broken in either the wireless or the firmware of these 4K sticks. I am an IT engineer so I have already looked into the Wifi channels and many basic issues...

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3\
atc98092
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wifi is Slow despite being next to Access Point on 5G with Excellent signal strength

Despite your experience level, let me ask a couple of simple questions. Are your 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz SSIDs the same? If so, are you certain you've connected to the 5 GHz radio? I know it's supposed to use the best signal, but I've names all my 5 GHz radios with a different SSID to be certain what I'm connecting to. 

You've said you've tried different channels. Ensure that you haven't assigned a DFS channel to the 5 GHz radio. Roku devices will not work on DFS channels. 

Because of the size of the wavelength at 5 GHz, it can sometimes help to move the Roku a little bit in one direction or another. Since you are using a Stick, have you requested a free HDMI extension cable from Roku? This allows moving the Stick further away from the EMF of the TV and can also be helpful in keeping the Stick coolers. 

Dan

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Rogrdat
Level 7

Re: Wifi is Slow despite being next to Access Point on 5G with Excellent signal strength

I have the same issue with my Roku Ultra. It is about a foot away from the AP. The router shows it connected at 5Ghz but only 57Mbps. My cell phone connects at 650Mbps and can pull the full 200Mbps of my internet connection. I have about 20 devices on my WiFi. The Roku is the only device having issues.

0 Kudos
pens87pgh
Level 7

I've had the exact same issue with my Roku WiFi devices.  I was able to confirm they were connected to my 5Ghz SSIDs and no matter what, the performance was so poor it was unusable.  I ended up broadcasting a 2.4Ghz only SSID and connected the Roku's to that, and everything worked perfectly again.  It seems that the 5Ghz radio in these is not up to par yet, so push them to 2.4Ghz still.

0 Kudos