Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Br1an
Level 7

Wifi Speed to Roku Streaming Stick + MUCH SLOWER than Speed to Other Devices

Any idea why I'm only getting 50 - 100 mbps WiFi throughput from my Google Mesh system to my Roku Streaming Stick + while other devices on the same network are getting 250+ mbps?

I just upgrade my FIOS home Internet from 100 mbps to 400 mbps. Some of the devices on my network including multiple ChromeBooks, MacBooks and iPhones automatically began getting 250+ mbps throughput. My Windows PC required that I reset the IP stack.

I don't know what to do with my 3 Roku Streaming Stick +'s. I've reset the network connection on one of them and continue to get 50 - 100 mbps throughput. There don't seem to be any other network configuration options that are related to throughput speed.

I'm already using HDMI extenders and this is not about proximity to the routers.

The issue seems to me to be that the Roku Streaming Stick + does not seem to be getting any faster throughput after this network upgrade than it was getting beforehand.

Is there a throughput limitation on the Roku Streaming Stick +? Is there a 100/1000 mbps configuration somewhere that I'm overlooking? Is something about the TCP or DHCP or IP address allocation or configuration preventing it from taking advantage of the additional throughput?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2\
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wifi Speed to Roku Streaming Stick + MUCH SLOWER than Speed to Other Devices

I think the answer is that Rokus are designed to handle data rates that are sufficient for streaming the programming they receive over the internet. They see no reason to beef them up beyond the 50-100 mbps performance you're measuring. 4K streams on Netflix, for instance, run around 15 mbps or so, but they recommend 25 mbps.

Netflix bit rate recommendations:
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/306

Where they sometimes run afoul of user needs is when a user wants to stream his own movie files, etc., which may not be compressed as much as streams over the internet.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
Note: I am not a Roku employee, just a user like you.

Roku Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Roku Streaming Stick 3600
C_I
Level 12

Re: Wifi Speed to Roku Streaming Stick + MUCH SLOWER than Speed to Other Devices

@Br1an wrote:

Any idea why I'm only getting 50 - 100 mbps WiFi throughput from my Google Mesh system to my Roku Streaming Stick + while other devices on the same network are getting 250+ mbps?

I just upgrade my FIOS home Internet from 100 mbps to 400 mbps. Some of the devices on my network including multiple ChromeBooks, MacBooks and iPhones automatically began getting 250+ mbps throughput. My Windows PC required that I reset the IP stack.

I don't know what to do with my 3 Roku Streaming Stick +'s. I've reset the network connection on one of them and continue to get 50 - 100 mbps throughput. There don't seem to be any other network configuration options that are related to throughput speed.

I'm already using HDMI extenders and this is not about proximity to the routers.

The issue seems to me to be that the Roku Streaming Stick + does not seem to be getting any faster throughput after this network upgrade than it was getting beforehand.

Is there a throughput limitation on the Roku Streaming Stick +? Is there a 100/1000 mbps configuration somewhere that I'm overlooking? Is something about the TCP or DHCP or IP address allocation or configuration preventing it from taking advantage of the additional throughput?

Thank you!

Remember, that video uses more bandwith than other audio or your phones. That's why the speeds of streaming devices are slower than other devices. 

0 Kudos