Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
falcon48
Binge Watcher

Wifi Connections constantly disconnecting

I know there have been similar threads addressing this same complaint, but to be honest with you, I'm tired of reading them and getting the same "advice" that is totally worthless.  I want to know what ROKU is doing to solve this problem.  Look at the number of posts in different threads, and it seems that the overwhelming complaints are about wifi connectivity, or losing said connectivity.

I have 7 TVs in my home.  5 are connected with ROKU devices, 1 with a firestick and 1 with an AppleTV.  The firestick and the AppleTV NEVER lose their connections, and neither do any of the 4 cell phones, 2 laptops, and 3 iPads, all connected to the same dual wifi router.  Everyone of those devices connects, and stays connected with no problems, EXCEPT the ROKU's.   They take turns disconnecting on the average of twice a day.  While 3 or 4 of them may work at any one time, there is ALWAYS one or two that are not connected at any given time.  I've reset the device, reset the router, reset the modem, got a new modem, and every other suggestion to correct this, and yet it continually happens over and over and over again. Just this morning I watched the news on one TV. Went to get a cup of coffee, came back, and I get the No Network Connection message, while everything else in the house is connected.  It absolutely refuses to recognize or connect to the network that 10 minutes ago it was connected to.  With all the complaints, and all the "fixes" that don't work, and all the other devices that seem to have no problem connecting, this has GOT to be a ROKU issue.  And no, I have PLENTY of bandwidth to take care of my needs so don't even go there.  My question is not how to fix this because the same worn out suggestions you've offered ad nauseam don't work, but what are you going to do about it?  Are you going to address this with system upgrades or replace our devices that seem to perform at their will instead of ours.  Perhaps the best option is to just chalk this up to a bad experience, throw all ROKUs in the trash, and invest in firesticks, AppleTV's or other devices that work.  Personally, I'm getting sick and tired of having to jump through fire hoops to watch TV with a RUKU device. 

20 REPLIES 20
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Wifi Connections constantly disconnecting

Well, if you're network is suddenly broadcasting only on 5 GHz -- and yes, some ISPs have started changing customer setups that way -- and the devices you mention connect on 5 GHz, and if you have one of the entry-level Roku devices that operates only on 2.4 GHz, then your Roku devices would suddenly not connect.

Now, do you want to try to determine the cause? Because it could be your ISP is making those changes, being "helpful."

ImHelping.jpg

So, in order to determine if the problem is with Roku or with something about your network, let's first find out if you have a 2.4 GHz only device. Settings > System > About

What's the model number?

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."

0 Kudos
falcon48
Binge Watcher

They are all ROKU Premieres or Express, 2.4G, and all connected to my 2G network.  5G isn’t even an option when scanning networks.  I’ve reset the ROKUs, the modem, the router,  changed wifi channels, and exhausted all options and this still happens on a daily basis for at least one of the devices....as I mentioned, only ROKU devices.  Everything else stays connected with no problems. 

tune_it

My same issue started at midnight, May 1, a likely trigger for some virus at the ROKU end.

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the recent posts regarding your Roku device disconnecting from your wireless network.

We would like to gather some information so we can look further into the issue:

-Roku device model
-serial number
-device ID
-software OS/version
(these can all be found in Settings > System > About)
-what ISP (internet service provider) are you using
-what make and model router
-are you using a mesh router/network

With more information we will be able to pass it along to the appropriate Roku team to investigate further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos
falcon48
Binge Watcher

#1 Roku Express#3930RW

Serial #X00400LTEF4L

Software 9.4.0 Build 4210-AE

ID S013208TEF4L

#2 Roku Express #3900X

Serial #YG008A890556

Software 9.4.0 Build 4210-51

ID C33928890556

#3 Roku Streaming Stick #3810RW (this is the only one that allows 5G connection, but still goes out intermittently just like all the others)

Serial #YH00A0130029

Software 9.4.0 Build 4210-50

ID C2393A130029

#4 Roku Premiere #3920X

Serial #YH0066975728

Software 9.4.0 Build 4210-91

ID K42036975728

#5 Roku Premiere #3920X

Serial #YH002U748593

Software 10.0.0 Build 4185-91

ID K42072748593

All connected to Spectrum internet IP 75.191.184.248

Motorola Modem model #E31T2V1 

Askey Router model #RAC2V1K

0 Kudos
falcon48
Binge Watcher

Ok, I finally figured this out and came up with the solution.  I ordered Firesticks for the TVs connected to ROKUs and will gladly put the ROKUs where they belong, in the trash once my Firesticks arrive.  I’m really tired of the **bleep**-shoot I have to go through every single day wondering which of my 5 ROKUs will connect and which ones won’t.  Having to cut my entire network off for the whole family for minutes at a time, multiple times a day so whichever ROKU is disconnected will reconnect is absurd. I fail to see why ROKU can’t understand that this is a ROKU problem, not a 5G or 2.4G from my internet provider, or some other mysterious problem.  Just look at the number of complaints in your own community from people having this same problem.  You asked for serial numbers, model numbers, ISP, software versions, etc., yet despite all the information absolutely no solution has been provided.  And when it is ONLY the ROKU devices that can’t seem to stay connected, and require me to jump through firey hoops to reconnect, then the problem is with the ROKUs, not my network, or modem, or router, or bandwidth, or ISP.   My laptops stay connected.  My Alexas stay connected, my tablets stay connected, my phones stay connected, my doorbell stays connected, my PlayStation stays connected, my AppleTV stays connected, the one Firesticks I have stays connected.  EVERYTHING stays connected EXCEPT the ROKUs, so please explain how this isn’t a ROKU problem.  

warrior

model 3920RW keeps disconnecting from wifi

0 Kudos
Espresso55
Reel Rookie

Same problem here. First Roku (2) quit connecting, and now the Premiere that I bought last year drops constantly. No problem at all with Firesticks, and their remotes are great!

RokuDanny-R
Retired Moderator

@Espresso55

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model devices are you using? 

I would recommend checking out our Support page for troubleshooting issues here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please answer the following questions so we can get a better understanding of what you are seeing:

- Have you ensured your router is broadcasting a 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network for the device to connect to? The Roku Express/Premiere is only compatible with wireless b/g/n networks on the 2.4 GHz spectrum. 
- Have you tried changing the wireless broadcast channel on the router to see if this will allow your device to connect? 
- Have you tried moving the device closer to your router to see if you can get connected? 
- How long have you been experiencing this problem?

If those things still aren't helping, feel free to provide us with the serial number of your Roku from Settings>System>About along with the answers to the above questions and I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Community Moderator
0 Kudos