Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

WiFi

I just bought my roku last week and now I can’t connect to my own WiFi all of my neighbors and my own phone can connect to the tv but my roku cannot find my home wifi at all and I’ve called my internet connection company and they told me to get ahold of roku.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 19

Re: WiFi

When you say "now" does that imply it worked at first and now it does not?  This will help in getting you helpful suggestions.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Level 7

No it has never worked

0 Kudos
Level 21

What's the model number (not name) of your Roku?  Are you attempting to connect to 2.4GHz or 5GHz?  Are you located in the US?

0 Kudos
Level 19

This post only applies if you have a Roku Express/Express+ or premiere/Premiere+.  These models are the current budget models in the Roku line and have single band Wi-Fi that can only use the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi band.  They can't even see the 5 GHz band.

Here are several things you can investigate. If you have a router supplied by your Internet Provider Service (ISP) and you're unfamiliar with configuring it you may need to contact your ISP's support for some of them.

It may be informative to check the connection parameters on any web connected devices you have that are working to see if they can show you the network name and channel number they are connected to. Channels 1-14 are in the 2.4 GHz band, channels 36 and up are in the 5 GHz band

if your router is a dual band with both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, make sure it has the 2.4 GHz band turned on. If you have a working device connected to Wi-Fi channel 1 through 11, your router has the 2.4 band turned on. If your working device is connected to channel 36 or higher it is using the 5 GHz band and tells you nothing about the 2.4 GHz band.

In the 2.4 GHz band, all Rokus only support channels 1 through 11 that are used in the US. Make sure your router is not set to 2.4 GHz channel numbers 12 to 14 which are used in some other countries

It's actually possible to be too close to your router such that the wifi signal overpowers the Roku's wifi receiver.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos