Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

WiFi speeds

So, first off  Roku Ultra has a 10/100 Base-T Ethernet =  BOOOOOOO!!!!!

I am only able to get about 75mbps via 802.11ac on a 5GHz band with my Roku Premier+ and Roku TVs.  My phone and other wireless devices connect to my network at speeds over 200-300 mbps even further from the router access points.  

Is there a known issue with Roku's wireless radio or drivers that impact 802.11ac speeds?

6 Replies
Level 7

Re: WiFi speeds

I have the same issue. dont know any fix. 

Level 12

@PSUHammer wrote:

So, first off  Roku Ultra has a 10/100 Base-T Ethernet =  BOOOOOOO!!!!!

I am only able to get about 75mbps via 802.11ac on a 5GHz band with my Roku Premier+ and Roku TVs.  My phone and other wireless devices connect to my network at speeds over 200-300 mbps even further from the router access points.  

Is there a known issue with Roku's wireless radio or drivers that impact 802.11ac speeds?

Maybe try resetting your wireless network then try resetting your ROKU wireless network settings. 

0 Kudos
Level 8

10/100 Base-TX Ethernet and 802.11ac wireless is unacceptable in 2020(Almost 2021). Especially since Roku just released another Ultra leaving out the more than two decade old 10/100/1000 Base-TX wired ethernet(1998) and the new 802.11ax wireless. I have a large library of 4K content ripped uncompressed and hosted via a home PLEX server. This content plays flawlessly on my Apple TV 10/100/1000 Base-TX wired ethernet and my 802.11ax wireless devices. On my Roku this content will not play without constant buffering causing it to be unwatchable or transcoding it down to 1080p which is not the goal. It's ridiculous that the device Roku calls "Ultra" would not have these features. Given the option I'd gladly pay more to have these features. Very disappointing.

Level 7

We just upgraded our Internet from 100mps to 300mps to no avail using Roku. It will not recognize the new network/speed. Apparently Roku is behind the times and is limited to 100mps which means we are wasting money for the enhanced service. There is no fix with Roku. 

Back to the drawing board looking for devices ready for 2021 technology and beyond. Any suggestions without breaking the bank?

0 Kudos
Level 9

@Avision wrote:

We just upgraded our Internet from 100mps to 300mps to no avail using Roku. It will not recognize the new network/speed. Apparently Roku is behind the times and is limited to 100mps which means we are wasting money for the enhanced service. There is no fix with Roku. 

Back to the drawing board looking for devices ready for 2021 technology and beyond. Any suggestions without breaking the bank?

What are you trying to do with the Roku?  Almost every Internet streaming provider like Netflix tops out well under 30mbps.  The only reason I would want higher than 100mbps for the Roku is for my local Plex server on my LAN trying to stream high bitrate UHD content.

Unless you are trying to do that, faster Internet over 30mbps is wasted on the Roku.  Let alone 100 or 300mbps.

0 Kudos
Level 12

@PSUHammer wrote:

@Avision wrote:

What are you trying to do with the Roku?  Almost every Internet streaming provider like Netflix tops out well under 30mbps.  The only reason I would want higher than 100mbps for the Roku is for my local Plex server on my LAN trying to stream high bitrate UHD content.

Unless you are trying to do that, faster Internet over 30mbps is wasted on the Roku.  Let alone 100 or 300mbp

All of that depends on what the speed of your WIFi router is and not your Roku device. 

0 Kudos