Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jaenus
Level 8

WiFi only connects after FACTORY reset!

Roku has been fine up until now. 

Changed routers.  It had good signal but refused to connect. 

I could see in the Roku that it still kept my old networks info in it.  Probably a bug from the new update. It doesn’t let that info go. 

Tried everything. Had to do a hard system reset.  Worked great!  ... until the network dropped briefly. After that same thing. It refused to reconnect.  

Whatever they did likely has something to do with the Roku not forgetting your old network info and if requiring a hard factory reset to clean it out. 

Because during the factory reset my WiFi was picked up very quickly!   But after this update now it’s broke.  

When my phones and computers and every other device connects ... and Roku doesn’t.... mmm there’s your sign!

And yes. I tried to reset my router then my Roku. Doesn’t work. It’s a software bug in 9.3. Nothing else makes sense given all these issues with peoples WiFi post 9.3. 

ROLL IT BACK!!! 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
makaiguy
Level 21

Re: WiFi only connects after FACTORY reset!

Factory reset should have cleared all the old info out, but just in case ...

Did you try Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset?

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Jaenus
Level 8

Yes I did.  No dice. 
what I basically figure is that there’s some issue with the router and Roku. 
roku will connect to my laptop hotspot - laptop using the same router, not a problem.

but it won’t connect to the router even wired.  So it’s a router Roku thing.

that said it connected after a factory reset. But as soon as the network was cut it died. 
Tomorrow I’m going to try wired and then do a factory reset and see if that is any different - 

My guess will be that it works the first time but after the net drops (usually once a day for a couple minutes tops) but I hope I’m wrong and that the wired connection behaves differently!

we shall see!!  Currently I’m getting around it by using the laptop WiFi hotspot. Works fine. As mentioned the laptop itself Is getting internet from the same router. So it has to be a Roku router issue. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 21

I will have my most used Roku, the Streaming Stick + in my living room, drop connection every once in a while -- couple of times a month, maybe.  I do get occasional drops in internet from my cable company, usually lasting only 2-5 minutes, when I happen to be doing something such that I know it's occurring.  No telling how often it happens that I don't know about. 

I've wondered if these short outages could be the cause of my SS+'s inability to connect but have not been able to really determine if this is the case.  I HAVE had it lock up while viewing (which MIGHT be caused by loss of internet connection?).  If I try to wait it out after a couple of minutes it goes back to home screen and is non-responsive or extremely sluggish in responding and unable to connect back to the network.  Usually I can get it back by restarting the router, restarting the Roku, and reconnecting, all in about 5 minutes.  Typically my other two Rokus aren't affected, but also typically the SS+ is the only one in use when the upset occurs, so maybe that's a factor.  Like you, my suspicion is that  Rokus, maybe just some of them (?) are affected by network errors, or maybe just interruptions, that other devices recover from gracefully.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
Wana
Level 7

The same thing is happening to me 

0 Kudos
RokuDanny-R
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@Wana

Thanks for the post.

Can you please provide more information about the issue you are experiencing? What Roku model device are you using? How are you powering the Roku device? Is the device plugged into the TV USB port or is it plugged into a wall outlet?

With more information we will be able to assist you further.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
law25emt88
Level 7

I am experiencing similar issues, two nights ago one of my rokus stopped connecting to the wifi. I checked my wifi and its fine, as a precaution I did reset my router but that did not resolve the issue. I restarted, unplugged, and factory reset the roku but it will not connect. The fact that one of them does work makes me think that the roku itself has gone bad. Thoughts?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 16

Which device? The model number would be helpful. Settings > System > About

If it's a 2.4 GHz only device, then you'll want to ensure your network is also broadcasting on 2.4 GHz, and on channel 1, 6, or 11. Actually any channel 1-11, but those three don't overlap and have less chance of interference as a result.

DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Streambar (9102)
Roku Streaming Stick+ (3810)
0 Kudos