Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamesyoung0559
Level 7

WiFi drops off

I have a new streaming stick plus (purchased 6/18/2020). Installed and updated to latest software. After 5-10 minutes the WiFi drops off and I mush manually reconnect or check connection to refresh it. I have reset modem/router, network adapter, etc.. No other devices I have connected to network have this issue. This stick is basically worthless with out a fix. Any ideas? 

0 Kudos
1 Reply
atc98092
Level 21

Re: WiFi drops off

All Roku Stick players are dual band (2.4 and 5 GHz). If your router supports both bands, you could try to force it to use one band or the other. This requires a different SSID for each band. Another place to look is the channel number used on 5 GHz. Roku devices do not support all potential channels. There is a subset of channels labeled DFS, and Roku devices don't work on them. You need to be on channel 48 or lower, or channel 149 or higher. Again, this is only on the 5 GHz band.

Most routers default to auto-channel selection, which may not choose the best channel. If someone nearby has a router on the same channel, the interference could cause what you describe. So changing the channel used can sometimes help. This applies to both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos