Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bart3399
Level 7

WiFi connection

My Roku express is right next to our WiFi router but my WiFi address isn’t showing up when trying to connect

0 Kudos
5 Replies
atc98092
Level 21

Re: WiFi connection

It's actually possible to be too close, but if it's at least a foot or two away you should be fine. What model Roku device are you using? Is your WiFi on 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz, or both? Some Roku players don't support 5 GHz, so if that's the only radio your WiFi is using you won't see it. There's also some channels in the 5 GHz band (called NFS) that Roku doesn't support.

But all Roku players support 2.4 GHz, and there should't be any channel issue on that band. I'm also assuming that you have other devices that connect to the WiFi without a problem.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Bart3399
Level 7

I’ve tried it in a different room and my WiFi link doesn’t even show up as an option.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

The Roku Express is a budget model that only works with the 2.4 GHz wifi band. If your router is set to use only the 5 GHz band your Express will not see it. Most (maybe all?) routers offering 5 GHz can also use 2.4 GHz - check your router's configuration to see if 2.4 GHz has been turned off.

That having been said, I've had occasions I've had symptoms similar to yours - when one Roku or another failed to locate my local wifi even when other devices found and connected with no difficulty. I've normally been able to restore my wifi connection with this procedure:

1. Restart the router.
  2. When the router comes back up, restart the Roku via menu path Settings > System > System restart.
  3. When the restart completes, connect to network via menu path Settings > Network > Set up connection.

There have been a couple of times when I had to use Settings > System > Advanced system settings > Network connection reset before step 3.

And one time I could only get it to work by unplugging the power to the Roku for a minute or so in place of step 2.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
pmccarthy47
Level 7

My roku has lost its connection with my Samsung smart tv.  I see you suggest re-starting the router and then going to settings, ++  

Which 'settings' do you mean?  On my tv?  And how do I get to that?  Sorry, I'm not good at this so explicit instructions are helpful to me.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@pmccarthy47 wrote:

My roku has lost its connection with my Samsung smart tv.  I see you suggest re-starting the router and then going to settings, ++  

Which 'settings' do you mean?  On my tv?  And how do I get to that?  Sorry, I'm not good at this so explicit instructions are helpful to me.

The original question dealt with the wifi connection between the Roku and the local network, not the connection between the Roku and the television. 

By "lost its connection with my Samsung smart tv" I assume you mean you aren't getting a signal from your Roku shown on the tv set.  See if this video from Roku helps: https://youtu.be/XrMYFOMYcnM

If you still need help after that, you really should start your own thread to keep from confusing this one with separate issues.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi