Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TeresaM
Reel Rookie

WiFi Signal Excellent, Internet Speed Poor (0 Mbps) Error Code 018

Purchased Roku Express yesterday and set up.  It shows an excellent wireless signal strength, but poor internet download speed 0mbps.  

I have tried to play movies and shows, and it sometimes starts, but every few seconds it starts spinning and the picture quality is horrible.  Called our internet provider (which was also just installed on Friday) and we have great strength and connection (have 100mbps), which should work for streaming. I am able to play Netflix through the SmartHub of Samsung TV and it works perfectly- no issues.  I can also play Disney+ on same wireless connection on my iPad in the same room- no issues.  

We have reset the modem, unplugged the Roku, did a factory reset of the Roku, and it still doesn’t show an internet download speed.  What am I missing here? Did I buy a lemon?  Should it be returned?  So far, not impressed with the Roku and the lack of customer service available by phone to help.

10 REPLIES 10
TeresaM
Reel Rookie

Re: WiFi Signal Excellent, Internet Speed Poor (0 Mbps) Error Code 018

Also, when doing the “Set Up Connection” - I get two green checkmarks (wireless connection and internet connection.  Then when I try ”Check Connection”, I get a green check mark for wireless, but a red X for internet connection.

0 Kudos
Jaherron81

Us to, we have had no problem for 6 months, then just yesterday we are getting the same message. Our Apple TV which is the same distance from the router has no problems. Has anyone giving you any assistance? Thank you

0 Kudos
TeresaM
Reel Rookie

Not yet, but I just posted it today. 🙂

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I've found that when I've encountered wifi problems with my Rokus I've normally been able to solve them by restarting the router. It makes no sense to me and I don't understand why it would work, especially since other wifi devices in the house work well, but it has worked for me. After the router comes back up, restart your Roku to start with a clean slate and try to reconnect.
Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Please, no support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.
If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.".

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X
0 Kudos
TeresaM
Reel Rookie

Thank you so much for your reply. I did restart the router and then restarted Roku- but it still did not work.  I have has not worked at all since I bought it a couple of days ago, no matter what I try.  I may need to return it, and try something else.  I’ve always heard good things about Roku and I am disappointed it’s not working.  Thanks for your help and suggestion.

0 Kudos
GIGI-GIGI

Did you ever issue resolved? I am having the exact same issue as you stated. 

0 Kudos
Jo14

How do I improve internet download speed wi fi signal excellent it’s so frustrating 

0 Kudos

Has anyone been able to fix this issue ? Our wireless signal is excellent but the download is at 0. I’ve re set the Roku tv and did all the trouble shooting through the tv manufacturer. Roku tech support number does not work during covid and there isn’t anyone from Roku to talk to. Do I simply need to get a new tv at this point? Worked fine for the first 6 months with the same router in the same location with the same bandwidth speed. Then one day it just stopped working. Someone help!!

0 Kudos
Brandon420

I have the same issue over here. I’ve tried everything from resetting the router, waiting a few minutes, plugging it back in, restarting my tv and nothing seems to work. It’s a hit or miss when it wants to work. As of right now, internet download speed is 0 mbps, status connected, connection type wireless, wireless channel 6. 

0 Kudos