Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

WiFi Password suddenly not working

Roku was working fine last week. I have two Roku devices - only the Express is not working.

There have been no changes in my network. I have several devices connected – all other devices have not had an interruption in connectivity. I have not changed my password.

Two days ago the Roku Express was no longer seeing my wifi and I have tried all troubleshooting tips. Restarted both router and Roku Express, reentered password multiple times, tried different tv's, moved closer to the router - nothing is working. I believe the Roku Express is defective. It worked for a week.

9 Replies
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: WiFi Password suddenly not working

While watching tv last evening with my Roku Streaming Stick+ (streaming on Hulu) the electricity went off for a second or two. When it came back on, I had lost my Roku connection. I have rebooted my internet and Roku remote. Roku shows it is picking up internet signals but will not connect to my wireless network after I type in the my internet password. Very frustrating! Help! Charles Ozier, [personal information removed]

Highlighted
Level 7

I am having this issue as well - we have 3 Express/Express HD and none of them will connect to internet. Router was rebooted and connectivity checked. No other device in my home is having issues connecting, our password is correct, and we have range extenders to ensure a strong signal. Just 009 error across the board. We tried the "enable pings" trick but no change. Any advice is appreciated.

Highlighted
Level 7

I have had the same issue.  We have had no changes, & suddenly we cannot connect to internet.  All of our devices work in the home except Roku!?  One sad customer!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@cmg1 @rfosson09 

Thanks for the inquiry.

Please send me a PM with your Roku account email address, and include the serial number of the Roku device from Settings>System>About. I'll be able to assist you further from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@ctozier 

Thanks for the information.

We would recommend taking a look at the troubleshooting steps provided on our Support page here: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Please keep us posted what you find out.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

@KristinT 

Thanks for letting us know about the issue that you are experiencing.

Please be aware that this code usually means your Roku device is connected to the router, but not able to connect to the internet. If no connection exists, contact your ISP for help. If your computer has an internet connection and you still see Error 009, we would recommend restarting the Roku device.

Try taking a look here for more tips about troubleshooting that network error code: What should I do if I cannot connect to my home network or the internet?

Keep us posted, and we will continue to assist you from there.

Thanks,
Danny

Danny R.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

It’s a Roku software issue. I have 2 Roku express. First one was setup a couple months ago and no issues until just recently.

It will no longer connect to my WiFi.  See below on only way to connect to WiFi now.

The second one is brand new, set it up today and after it does it’s software update, it won’t connect to my WiFi. Did all the suggested troubleshooting steps and still won’t work. Kept getting error code 14.40.

The ONLY way was to disable my security on the 2.4 band to get it to connect to the WiFi.

Please fix your software issue so I can turn back on the security on the 2.4 band.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Same issue. I have a tilde (~) in my WPA2 WiFi password, and I believe the reason I can’t connect to my new Westinghouse 58” Roku Tv is bc of this specia character. The tilde is set at the top alignment  instead of the middle alignment, whereas on all other digital keyboards (that work, mind you) they are middle aligned. Not sure if this is the reason but it seems highly likely as I’m able to connect to my guest network (same router) with the “@“ symbol being the only special character. Please help fix this, Roku!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

All the sudden the Roku stick is not recognizing my wifi password.  I've done everything it has said to do, and it still doesn't work.  Can someone please help me?

Dawn G

0 Kudos