Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 9

Re: WiFi Channel selection

"atc98092" wrote:
I saw your first post. All I'm saying is that there are many, many devices that work exactly like the Roku does. It remembers and reconnects to the same SSID. Hopefully it selects the best band (5 GHz usually). I don't consider it a "hack" to use different SSID names, at least for the two bands. In the medical center network I designed and managed, I uses the same SSID on all WAPs, so you won't get any argument from me on that. But they were all 2.4 GHz. At that time, I don't think 5 GHz was even available, or if it was it was priced beyond my budget at the time. I didn't intend to try to change your mind or get into a major discussion about it. Only pointed out what works for myself. I strive to simply provide information that has worked for me. It may or may not be the best suggestion for someone else. Have fun.  Smiley Very Happy

NO, there are NOT many devices that behave like the ROKU.  The Roku apparently is selecting first available not best available.
Please, I'd like to get the attention of someone from ROKU.  Let's stop putting conjecture and poor design posts.  YOU may not consider it a hack but professionals DO.
Brought to you from someplace in Texas!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"ghb51" wrote:
If your router allows the txpower to be set you could also try setting your 5ghz band a little higher than 2.4 to help band steering.

I"m not looking for even more "work arounds" to solve the problem for the ROKU.  This post was a request to ROKU to resolve what appears to be a faulty connection algorithm.  I've seen this on many inexpensive devices such as thermostats and cameras.  They've all eventually been fixed.  Time for ROKU to step it up on this problem.  It doesn't manifest itself in small networks.  It's when you begin to have multiple APs that the problems emerge and the more APs and the more signals, the worse the problem.

It's not just about band, it's also about the selection of the AP period.  As I explained, the ROKU appears to do round robin type selection and not best available.  There are better signals available in both bands yet the ROKU selects the FIRST network is CAN connect with, not the best.  The roaming aggressiveness setting often helps to fix this but IMO the initial selection algorithm is faulty to begin with.

The whole point of this post is to get someone at ROKU to help fix the problem in the client, not list ways to cripple your network to satisfy the ROKU  It is clearly a problem with the ROKU.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9

"Smokindog" wrote:
I tried resurrecting an old thread about WiFi connection preferences weeks ago and received no hits.

I use Stick+ in most of my bedrooms.  I've got VERY GOOD WiFi coverage everywhere on multiple APs and multiple discrete channels.  I'm in an area where I have pretty much the entire spectrum to myself for both 2.4 and 5GHz.  I use the SAME SSID for all networks on ALL APs and am not interested in debating this nor making changes/additions to SSIDs.

The ROKUs apparently have a very simple connection selection algorithm and no method I can find to specify a preferred band to use.  More often than not the Stick+ seems to select the first signal it can connect to in channel order (1 to 11 on the 2.4GHz and then again ascending on the 5GHz).  I often have problems in 2 rooms and find the Stick+ connected to APs I'd never intentionally pick and playback errors are high.  Also this manifests itself in remote connection issues as well.  My Stick+ powers on/off with the TV (TV USB power).  I'm also not open to changing that.

PLEASE look into the selection algorithm and PLEASE add a setup value for preferred band (2.4GHz vs 5GHz) as well as roaming aggressiveness  This is pretty standard stuff for clients these days.

Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos