Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abennett6819
Channel Surfer

Why won’t my Roku find any source of wireless internet

I have had my tv going on two years now and even though I had WiFi at the time I did not connect it now for the past few months I have been trying to connect it several times here and there. I have reset it and factory reset it I don’t know how many times. I have also restarted my WiFi a multitude of times and shut it off and back on. However my tv has never picked up any kind of WiFi signal. Every other device in my home including other Roku tvs instantly pick up my WiFi, Hotspot and even the neighbors WiFi but this one has never picked up a single one. I need help please. 

Roku TV 8821X

Onn model 100012589

Serial Number YK00KY368433

Software version 8.0.2 • build 1632-AS

Device ID 38R9DK368433

0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

Re: Why won’t my Roku find any source of wireless internet

So you have bought this TV from Walmart (ONN) 2 years ago and have never connected it to your WiFi? Did you try contacting ONN since they built it? Your firmware is way out of date too. My 2 year old TCL came with 10.0. Now it’s 10.5. It maybe covered under warranty by ONN. ONN has a 2 year warranty. If your tv has an Ethernet port you can try that. So if you make your phone a mobile hotspot it won’t connect to your phone either?

0 Kudos
abennett6819
Channel Surfer

My mother bought this tv from Walmart roughly 2 years as a gift for my daughter and being she is young but knows how to work the tv I decided it was best not to connect it to WiFi but be connected to DVD player. I have not tried contacting ONN being I thought it all has something to do with the Roku aspect of the tv. I have no search bar, there’s other setting accessibility’s that are missing as well. I haven’t been able to connect to the internet so I can’t update anything. Correct it doesn’t even connect or even pick up my hotspot to be an option. 

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

If there is an internal failure in the TV then it’s the manufacturer not the operating system. So from what you’re saying is the TV might’ve never been able to connect to WiFi. If the wireless receiver in your TV is no good then it contact ONN. It’s always best to hook something to Wi-Fi even if you’re not gonna use it so it keeps the TV up-to-date. It’s not like you can surf the Internet on a Roku TV. You can also put a PIN in to prevent adding any channels. Contact ONN and go from there. Walmart still sells that TV. It’s only $144. You could buy it and put yours back in the box then return it

you could try updating the software using a USB stick 

https://support.roku.com/article/212361468

0 Kudos
abennett6819
Channel Surfer

At the time this was our first smart TV I had no idea it would require updates and what not. I have sent ONN support a message about my issues however I don’t have a proof of purchase being it was a gift from my mother to my daughter and she did not keep the receipt. Haha I like your idea that’s a good one. I have seen comments about using a USB drive but I don’t have one on hand unfortunately. 

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

A USB drive is like $5. Smart TVs have been around for a long time. Nothing new. Any TV with apps is a smart TV. Even one of my 12-year-old TV is a smart TV. Why don’t you just go to Walmart buy the TV hook it up put yours back in the box and return it. The serial number will tell ONN When it was manufactured. But since you never activated the TV they don’t have a start date for the warranty coverage. You could always pick up a Roku Stick and plug it into the HDMI port too. Remember it’s still a regular TV

0 Kudos
abennett6819
Channel Surfer

Smart TVs where around a good while before I got my first one. My daughters was actually the first one I have ever even messed around with. I’m not a very tech savvy kind of person when it comes to pretty well all forms of technology. 

0 Kudos
BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

I gave you some options. Like I said you can pick up a Roku Stick. sorry you look into use the TV to watch like Netflix, Disney+ and more?

0 Kudos
abennett6819
Channel Surfer

Right, thank you. Yes now that she is a little older and understands where things are that she want to watch and can do it herself like she does in the living room like Disney+, Netflix, and so on with a few others. 

BillieAnnie
Roku Guru

If your Roku TV still won’t connect then pick up a Roku Stick and plug it into your TV

0 Kudos