Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sheltonbp

Why some of my apps say there is a network problem when most others work correctly

I have a new Roku Tv.  Most apps work fine and allow sign in. However, Disney +\Hulu and Amazon Prime do not let me sign in. Says there is a network issue. And Prime has lots of different languages flashing on screen. Netflix, Apple TV, etc all work fine. This Tv is on hospital wifi, but it works fine for 90% of apps. Did the same thing on previous Roku stick. 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Michelle3
Roku Guru

Re: Why some of my apps say there is a network problem when most others work correctly

Roku doesn’t manufacture the TVs themselves.  In this case, you may need to contact the manufacturer of your TV.
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Sheltonbp

Re: Why some of my apps say there is a network problem when most others work correctly

My point is that on a different Tv with a Roku stick instead of the built-in Roku, it was doing the exact same thing. Why just Prime and Disney+?

0 Kudos
Michelle3
Roku Guru

@Sheltonbp wrote:

My point is that on a different Tv with a Roku stick instead of the built-in Roku, it was doing the exact same thing. Why just Prime and Disney+?

Because you probably need to check your internet connection on your Roku device, as well as your router.  
~ Jordan

I’m into videotapes and old electronics stuff, including extenders, converters and analog 4:3 TV sets (which are obsolete these days), and Miss Bianca is my favorite character in Disney’s The Rescuers (1977) and its sequel, The Rescuers Down Under (1990). I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you. ~ Jordan

Roku Express+ 3910X
0 Kudos
Sheltonbp

I appreciate the advice. Just confused how the Roku connection to the internet is fine with all other apps. They work fine. Just those 3 in particular (Amazon, Disney, Hulu) will not. It seems it would be all or nothing on the network connection to apps on the Roku device. Maybe not?

0 Kudos
DBDukes
Community Streaming Expert

@Sheltonbp 

One of the drawbacks is that when errors occur, the apps have to be coded to trap errors. Many times, an error code will be included, but not always. You've said nothing about an error code, so I'm assuming there is not one.

Error trapping means -- and you may already know this -- the app/code receives an error of some kind, and rather than simply crash, is coded to catch the error based on the information returned by an error code (or message) internally. The code then has to interpret that in a way that is useful to the end user. However, few apps are coded to account for every possible thing that can go wrong. Whether it's a CASE or IF/ELSE or whatever method of error trapping is used, there is going to be a default response for anything that wasn't explicitly trapped for. (If there isn't a default response, the app will crash or freeze, most likely.) And even for things that are trapped, the error message or code is contingent on the preprocessor handling it correctly.

All that to say that sometimes the error message presented isn't correct, or if correct, sometimes not useful.

So, if a streaming issue, whether a playback incompatibility, a server streaming issue, your ISP having a DNS issue, or something else entirely, it could be that none of the traps in place to catch the error identified it correctly, and the default may be that the network connection is bad. Not that the network connection is actually bad, but nothing else fit, so that was displayed.

Is this what actually happened? Dunno. The ones that coded the apps (not Roku, by the way) would need to answer that. But how can it happen? What I just described is one way.

Is what I offered helpful? Probably no insofar as identifying the problem, but it does shed light on why sometimes it's hard to pinpoint the cause, which makes it hard to develop a fix.

Then again, the apps may start working tomorrow.

DBDukes
Roku Community Streaming Expert
Note: I am not a Roku employee.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."