Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DevonBirch
Level 7

Why is my Roku Express not connecting to wifi

So I have had my Roku Express for about 6 months. It has been hooked up to the same tv on the same wifi the entire time, but recently stopped connecting to the internet. It will connect to my wifi, but then immediately disconnects, while simultaneously saying the signal strength is excellent.

When I check the connect it says the playback speed is poor. However, I have a different Roku in a different room, connected to the same wifi that is having no problems. The one I'm having issues with is actually closer to the router so this makes no sense. I have reset both the Roku and the Router several times and nothing is working. I was actually able to connect it to my hotspot on my phone but I can't keep doing that, I need to get it to connect to wifi.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
15 REPLIES 15\
RokuMary-F
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Why is my Roku Express not connecting to wifi

Hi @DevonBirch,

Thanks for the post.

You have the Roku Express and it is a single-band wireless device which means it only supports a 2.4 GHz connection. Your Roku Express will not recognize the 5Ghz network.

You need to make sure that your 2.4 GHz network is active by using your mobile phone and check if you can detect the 2.4 GHz network. We also suggest you reach out to your Internet Service Provider or ISP for assistance in checking if the 2.4 GHz network is active and not hidden. 

Thanks,

Mary

fkunc
Level 8

Have you thought about moving in to the room where you have the working Roku and temporarily putting it in in place of that one to see if it connects properly there?

My guess would be that if it does there is something wrong in the network and if it still doesn't there is something wrong in the Roku.

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Community Streaming Expert

I don't have an Express, but my most-used Roku Streaming Stick+ on my living room tv loses wifi connection once or twice a month.  This has always worked for me:

• Restart your router (even if other devices have no problem finding and connecting). Sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Restart the Roku to clear its memory via Settings > System > System restart (for a Roku TV it's Settings > System > Power > System restart). Again sometimes that's all it takes, if not keep going.
  • Find and connect to your network via Settings> Network > Set up connection

If that doesn't fix it, try disconnecting the power to your Roku for a few seconds.  When it comes back up, see if you then can set up the network connection. 

Roku Community Streaming Expert
I am not a Roku employee, only a user like you.  Do not ask me support questions via private message -- post them publicly to the Community where others may benefit as well.

If this post solves your problem please help others find this answer by clicking "Accept as Solution.". Please only do this if it ACTUALLY solves your problem.

Streaming Stick 4K+ 3821 | Streaming Stick+ 3810 | TCL Roku TV 43S245/C107X | Streaming Stick 3600
YahRoquit
Level 7

Hi I’m so glad I found all these posts! I’ve lost roku also no internet connect. Spent a week trying to hook up. I’ve decided it’s gone for good and I’m so sadSmiley Sad had this for 3 years worked fine. Some one pulled the plug!!!! So irritating bought new one taking back to store! 

tanerakn
Level 8

Hello there, You need to change the wireless> control channel settings in your modem settings. roku only accepts 1 to 11 values. You will see that you are connected through wireless when you change these values.

Nottaken5
Level 7

I’ve used Roku streaming devices for about 15 years. Probably five devices on different TVs over that time period. The only reason I’ve replaced them is they started to fail usually after six or more years of use. 

In the last year I’ve had two Roku expresses. The first one died after ten months. I got a new one the other day. These things are the worst product I’ve ever bought from Roku. It took me three days to even get the thing to connect to my WiFi and it’s gone down hill from there. At this point I move my old Roku streaming device from one TV to another. 

I used to really like my Roku but I’m disappointed with whatever it is they’re doing to make the product this bad. 

AvsGunnar

@Nottaken5 

What is your Roku model number, router model number, your ISP (internet service provider) and what is the software build running on your Roku device? (settings.system..about)

May be either a software update or a known ISP issue contributing to your current issues.  With a bit more info, may be able to help offer some troubleshooting for you.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941
0 Kudos
Cmodrell
Level 7

Oct 2021 both my Roku devices stopped working on the 2.4ghz. I went in and changed the channel in my modem and the bandwidth. It started working again. Now it’s out again. I think it’s my Xfinity internet. I’ve called and had techs work on it remotely. It usually starts working about 5pm and they call me and say they fixed it, but lately it’s won’t connect at all. I wonder if it’s because they are express and Roku is forcing me to update my devices to newer models??

I have a Comcast tech coming out today because it might also just be my internet connect because my hotspot has stopped letting guests connect to it (the free hotspot that doesn’t use my data). Something is fishy and I’m getting super annoyed. This is my main way to watch tv. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@Cmodrell 

Xfinity routers received a firmware update over a month ago that began to affect Roku devices operating on the 2.4 ghz band.

The router needs to be configured so that the "Mode" setting is set to b/g/n rather than g/n.

Have your tech make this change while he is looking at your setup and physical connection to see if there are other contributing factors with your other internet problems.

You can try this yourself using steps and pics I provided in another posting.

https://community.roku.com/t5/Network-Wireless-Wired-Connections/Roku-Express-not-connecting-to-Xfin...

Technically, Roku should be able to operate on a network when routers are configured to g/n (backward capability of these protocols).  The Xfinity firmware is mishandling this and requiring the "b" speed to be enabled in order for the Roku to communicate/operate with router when accessing internet.  Good opportunity for the Xfinity tech to communicate this back to the Xfinity engineers as their customer support still seems unaware of this reported problem.

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660x, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941