Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 21

Re: Why does no Roku streaming device include Gigabit Ethernet?

@lesmikesell wrote:

I don't know the internals of rokus or roku TVs, but a lot of the cheap 'system on a chip' designs put the ethernet connection on the USB 2.0 bus which is going to limit bandwidth even if they did use a gig ethernet connection.    So, while I agree that everyone should be using gigabit ethernet connections I expect it to take a while for a redesign and to cost a lot more in the end.

True, the are all SoC systems for the most part. I've never opened up a Roku to look at them, but I'm sure the networking is all contained on the chip. And you're right, it will take a redesign to support higher speeds. But you have to remember that Roku devices are and always were Internet streaming players first. Home media came about when Plex added a channel for Roku, then Emby (I'm assuming it was in that order). Roku then decided to create the Roku Media Player, which supports both USB and DLNA network playback. But they didn't add codec or container support to really make it a "good" local media player. 

I'm encouraged by the effort that Roku is again making with RMP, as it went through a quiet point when the previous developer retired from Roku. But I think they will continue to put the effort into it, and hopefully upgrade the electronic internals to support local UHD playback.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Highlighted
Level 7

This is entirely false.

It's true that you'll never get near 100Mbps streaming from Hulu or Netflix, even for 4K videos.

But large streaming services all use well compressed H.264 or H.265 videos, with many CPU-heavy options turned on for the best compression ratio.

Local on-the-fly compression that needs to be compressed realtime is not going to get anywhere near the same compression ratio, your CPU can't manage it, especially in 4K.  For example, Rokus all support Miracast where you can have any Windows 10 PC and some android phones stream to it as a monitor.

Uncompressed 4K HDR = 3840 (horizontal) x2160 (vertical) x48 bits per pixel x 30fps = 11.9 Gbps.  There are also 96 bit per pixel variants and this of course doubles for 60fps.  That doesn't even include the audio.

Yeah, of course Miracast is compressed so it isn't really going to saturate 11.9Gbps.  But it isn't guaranteed to maintain a 119 to 1 compression ratio to stay within 100Mbps for realtime compression either.

Also, as others have pointed out, UHD blu-ray is spec'ed to support encoding rates up to 128Mbps.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 21

@glugglug wrote:

This is entirely false.

It's true that you'll never get near 100Mbps streaming from Hulu or Netflix, even for 4K videos.

But large streaming services all use well compressed H.264 or H.265 videos, with many CPU-heavy options turned on for the best compression ratio.

Local on-the-fly compression that needs to be compressed realtime is not going to get anywhere near the same compression ratio, your CPU can't manage it, especially in 4K.  For example, Rokus all support Miracast where you can have any Windows 10 PC and some android phones stream to it as a monitor.

Uncompressed 4K HDR = 3840 (horizontal) x2160 (vertical) x48 bits per pixel x 30fps = 11.9 Gbps.  There are also 96 bit per pixel variants and this of course doubles for 60fps.  That doesn't even include the audio.

Yeah, of course Miracast is compressed so it isn't really going to saturate 11.9Gbps.  But it isn't guaranteed to maintain a 119 to 1 compression ratio to stay within 100Mbps for realtime compression either.

Also, as others have pointed out, UHD blu-ray is spec'ed to support encoding rates up to 128Mbps.

Not sure who you were replying to. I never stated that online media sources stream anywhere near those speeds. Netflix tops out at 16 Mbps with their UHD material, and Vudu and Amazon are around the same. But my local media (ripped BD and UHD discs) can easily exceed 100 Mbps, with peaks approaching 160 Mbps or higher. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

The streaming services fake 4K won't saturate a 100 Mbps link. But if you try to locally stream a 4K Blu Ray quality file it easily needs more than 100 mbps

0 Kudos