Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PSUHammer
Level 9

Re: Why does no Roku streaming device include Gigabit Ethernet?

I think I recognize that just fine.  I basically said that in other words.  Roku is not designed for users like me with a dedicated theater room and local media server.  It is designed for casual users to stream from providers like Netflix and Amazon.

The Nvidia Shield is designed for people like me who need the extra horsepower needed to stream locally.

The Roku fills it's niche admirably (and I made a killing off their stock so I am happy!) but those looking for something more are just not going to get it.   Buy a Shield.

rbuswell
Level 7

I had deferred buying a Roku because of the gigabit thing.  The forum commentaries convinced me to buy one anyway since gigabit support may be long in arriving.  My unit gets here today.

I will learn more about the Shield for future consideration.  One must learn to walk before he runs. Thanks for all your excellent advice.

0 Kudos
lesmikesell
Level 13

Unless you rip 4k blu-rays yourself you won't need gigabit.   And even then you could probably use a tool like handbrake to re-encode to something that would work while barely noticing the difference.

Anything intended for internet streaming will need way less bandwidth than that.

0 Kudos