Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vicalop
Level 7

Re: Why does no Roku streaming device include Gigabit Ethernet?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@vicalop wrote:

Holy **bleep** this didnt age well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/eoa03e/psa_100_mbps_is_not_enough_to_direct_play_4k/

And don't forget that Fast Ethernet is rated at 100 Mbps, but real world doesn't see much better that 93-95 Mbps due to network overhead. 

I agree with the person's conclusions, as it's exactly what I see with any of my Roku devices when playing my UHD rips. None will play more than a minute or so before buffering, and usually more like 20-30 seconds. I only have one of the titles they mention in the post, and I hadn't looked yet at the entire list of movies tested. But the only way I can watch my UHD rips is with my Shield, connected via Gigabit. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
PSUHammer
Level 9

@atc98092 wrote:

@vicalop wrote:

Holy **bleep** this didnt age well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/eoa03e/psa_100_mbps_is_not_enough_to_direct_play_4k/

And don't forget that Fast Ethernet is rated at 100 Mbps, but real world doesn't see much better that 93-95 Mbps due to network overhead. 

I agree with the person's conclusions, as it's exactly what I see with any of my Roku devices when playing my UHD rips. None will play more than a minute or so before buffering, and usually more like 20-30 seconds. I only have one of the titles they mention in the post, and I hadn't looked yet at the entire list of movies tested. But the only way I can watch my UHD rips is with my Shield, connected via Gigabit. 

I just got the new 2019 Shield and it handles UHD HDR content MUCH better than the older 2017 version.  Pretty flawless playback of uncompressed UHD rips for me.  Kids use the Roku interface in my theater room as it is easier but I always switch to the Shield for bandwidth and Dolby Atmos.

That is the other factor that hasn't been mentioned...uncompressed audio streams.  I have a 7.1.2 Atmos setup and the HDMI ARC with just DD+ on my Roku TV doesn't quite cut it.

0 Kudos