Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
PSUHammer
Level 9

Re: Why does no Roku streaming device include Gigabit Ethernet?

Yeah. Gigabit Ethernet is in every consumer grade networking device except the no name brands.
I did just get the new Shield TV and it is great. There are a few strange issues with Android TV like buggy color space switching and native frame rate support is app dependent. But, everything else is great.

For the Roku, regardless of the Ethernet port speed, it still advertises as 802.11ac compliant for wireless. But, the Roku wireless radio and/or driver is pretty bad and gets Wireless N speeds. As I stated in an earlier post, my Galaxy S8 blows it away.

Just frustrating as I do love the Roku OS.
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@PSUHammer wrote:
For the Roku, regardless of the Ethernet port speed, it still advertises as 802.11ac compliant for wireless. But, the Roku wireless radio and/or driver is pretty bad and gets Wireless N speeds. As I stated in an earlier post, my Galaxy S8 blows it away.

Just frustrating as I do love the Roku OS.

I too have little success getting a faster connection on .11ac WiFi. In fact, it tests slower than the Ethernet jack on my Ultra. Bt when I test my access point with Speedtest on my iPhone, it's pretty much matching my Ultra's test speed, maybe 10 Mbps faster. Both are still well below my actual Internet speed, and I have no way of testing my internal network speed. I know there are ways to do it, but just haven't looked too deeply. But it does indicate I might have a network wiring issue between that access point and my primary network switch.

EDIT: Nah, I just ran speedtest on a computer hard-wired to that router/access point, and it reached my max Internet speed of 86 Mbps. Since the Roku can't do better than 52 Mbps on WiFi, it's got to be the Roku drivers.

Funny thing is, there's a user on the AVS Forums that can stream UHD rips with his Ultra over .11ac without any issues, so he's obviously getting higher speeds than I am. My Ultra is only about 3 feet away from the router, so the signal couldn't be better, and it's not too close either. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
PSUHammer
Level 9

He is probably compressing the UHD stream. I can stream some UHD films to the Roku from my Plex server. Just depends on the bitrate. The films where the bitrate exceeds 100mbps are when it fails. I don't compress my rips, just remux them to include the audio and subtitles I want to keep.

I have an Orbi mesh network for my LAN and FiOS gigabit for Internet. The Orbi router is right next to my Roku and my tested throughput on the 5GHz band is roughly 50-60mbps. If I test the throughput on the same wireless network using my three year old smartphone and standing a room away I get 275mbps. That tells me it is the Roku wireless radio and/or driver.
Highlighted
atc98092
Level 17

@PSUHammer wrote:
He is probably compressing the UHD stream. I can stream some films from my Plex server. Just depends on the bitrate. The films where the bitrate exceeds 100mbps are when it fails.

I have an Orbi mesh network for my LAN and FiOS gigabit for Internet. The Orbi router is right next to my Roku and my tested throughput on the 5GHz band is roughly 50-60mbps. If I test the throughput on the same wireless network using my three year old smartphone and standing a room away I get 275mbps. That tells me it is the Roku wireless radio and/or driver.

Nope, he's like me. Uncompressed straight from the UHD disk rips. I have seen steady bitrates at or over 100 Mbps, with peaks exceeding 130-140. The Shield can play them, which is how I can monitor the bitrate leaving the media server. He can play them on his Roku Ultra via WiFI, and I can't. No idea why. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
Highlighted

@PSUHammer wrote:
He is probably compressing the UHD stream. I can stream some films from my Plex server. Just depends on the bitrate. The films where the bitrate exceeds 100mbps are when it fails.

This is exactly right. Compressed files, even a bit, will work fine. The magic bullet isn't always 100mbps if your Ethernet is at all saturated depending on other network traffic at the time, but that's the gist of it for certain.
Regarding wireless speeds, even my 2.5 year-old Android Blackberry hits my ISP speed cap and you watch the connection ram agains the throttling again and again. With my laptop it happens even faster. But as far the Roku's speed reports, I am *always* showing 90mbps on LAN, and between 86-92mbps on 5Ghz wireless. Something is quite wrong.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

@atc98092 wrote:

@PSUHammer wrote:

Nope, he's like me. Uncompressed straight from the UHD disk rips. I have seen steady bitrates at or over 100 Mbps, with peaks exceeding 130-140. The Shield can play them, which is how I can monitor the bitrate leaving the media server. He can play them on his Roku Ultra via WiFI, and I can't. No idea why. 

That's actually really interesting. My Asus router supports beamforming and depending on where I'm at in the house I can watch the throughput ramp up as it zeros in, whether on my phone or laptop. I wonder if whatever the chipset is in the Roku's radio doesn't support it. I'd be curious which wireless router that AVS fellow is running.

0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 17

Yeah, his access point/router is probably more expensive than mine. I'm using a TP-Link Archer A9 in WAP mode. 

I just put my iPhone next to the Ultra and ran Speedtest again. I saw 75 Mbps on my 87 Mbps DSL connection, so pretty close. The Ultra, when connected to the same WAP, sees about 52 Mbps. The Roku just doesn't seem to be able to achieve what my network can supply. Maybe he has a newer Ultra than I do. 

Dan
0 Kudos
Highlighted

My Ultra is a brand new 4670X. Just mimicked your test...

Ran network test on Roku, then placed my phone on top of it and ran a speed-test on it.

Roku showed 91mbps.

Phone showed 263mbps.

My speed cap is advertised 275mbps, but actual implemented is (I believe) 305mbps (which I can hit reguarly on the laptop).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
PSUHammer
Level 9

I tested with a Roku Premiere+ as well as two newer TCL Roku TVs. The built in Roku network throughput numbers are similar for all three devices, roughly 60-70mbps on 5GHz band.

I guess it it's possible that the newest Ultra device has a different wireless radio that has better throughput. But it uses the same software as older devices.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
brannonbenge
Level 7

Netflix streaming info on TCL 55P605 / 55P607 by pressing asterisk (*) doesn't work anymore. Solved!

I have a TCL 55P605 Roku TV. Until recently, the asterisk button allowed me to toggle the streaming information on and off if it was pressed in the Netflix app while on the main screen where you select something to watch. Doing this doesn't work anymore—at least not on my TV. I've tried pressing the asterisk (or star) button on every screen in the Netflix app and I couldn't get the streaming specs to show up. Does anyone with the same television or an identical problem have a solution? Thank you for your time and consideration.

RE: Netflix streaming info on TCL 55P605 / 55P607 by pressing asterisk (*) doesn't work anymore. Solved!

Solution:

I have the same TV and discovered the new way to toggle the streaming info / specifications on and off. While watching something, simply double tap the asterisk button. It doesn't work flawlessly, but I'm pretty sure "double clicking" the star button is the new default way to display the stream info.

0 Kudos