Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Why does Roku say I have poor download speed when my speed is fine?

I've not had any issues with my Roku until this morning. I've have my Roku Express for 3 years now, and Spectrum also replaced my modem and router about 2 years ago, so needless to say, I've been using my Roku, with no issues, for a long time. All of a sudden this morning I wake up and it takes forever to load apps. I have Hulu with Live TV which I was just watching yesterday with no problems (some audio/video syncing problems, but nothing major), then I woke up this morning and I can't watch more than 5 minutes at a time before it starts buffering, video quality is greatly reduced (no HD; it's probably closer to 480p), and sometimes cannot even get live channels to load.

I have checked for updates- nothing available.
Reset Roku- no difference
Unplugged and turned modem/router back on.. no difference.

I did check my connection under Roku settings and I have great wireless strength, but it says my internet download speed is poor (0 mbps). But yet I have no issues streaming on my laptop, I ran a speed test (several different ones actually) and they all say I'm getting roughly 40 mbps download, and roughly 10-11 mbps upload.

Any ideas, thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Level 21

Re: Why does Roku say I have poor download speed when my speed is fine?

My experience with the Roku network speed test is that it's always lower than it tests on other devices. That said, I've never seen it read zero speed. 

From the sound of it, my would guess that you've suddenly encountered some serious WiFi interference. Someone nearby has added a new access point that's using the same channel as yours, or some other sort of radio interference. At the frequencies that WiFi uses, sometimes moving a device or the router a matter of inches can make a difference. I would also suggest changing the channel your router uses as a test. Most routers are set to Auto select for channel assignment, and they may or may not change the channel dynamically if something nearby starts interfering. Find out what channel you're using now (the Roku network info page will show it). If it's near the middle (say channel 6) switch it to one end or the other. If you're already at one end, try the other or the middle. There are free apps you can install on a computer that can scan for other access points and show what channel they are using, and help you choose a channel with less odds of interference.

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
Level 19

I've had that exact experience - says it's connected but shows zero download speed, plus other devices have no problem. This has always worked for me to recover:

Restart your router (I know this doesn't seem to make any sense since other things connect without issue, but do it anyway). When it comes back up, try to re-establish your wifi connection on the Roku. If there's still no joy, restart your Roku and try it again.
  • Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
Level 8

I think I actually figured out the problem- I had a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver plugged into my TV (my TV is older and does not have built-in Bluetooth), and I unplugged it, turned it off and now I seem to have no streaming or connection issues. I never even thought that would be causing problems.

Thank you though for your help and support!

0 Kudos
Level 21

@ispyce wrote:

I think I actually figured out the problem- I had a Bluetooth transmitter/receiver plugged into my TV (my TV is older and does not have built-in Bluetooth), and I unplugged it, turned it off and now I seem to have no streaming or connection issues. I never even thought that would be causing problems.

Thank you though for your help and support!

Good trouble-shooting. Bluetooth uses 2.4 GHz, same as low band WiFi. While it's lower powered than WiFi, being in the same frequency range could absolutely cause issues. Glad you have it resolved. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.