Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7

Which roku device supports 5g?

My spectrum provider said in order to receive 100mbps that I need a roku that can support 5g. Which one do I purchase? I don't want to spend an excessive amount.I have a regular roku now. They said if I get a 3900 or better I can connect to 5g

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 19

Re: Which roku device supports 5g?

They're wrong.  The current Express and Premiere are 39xx and don't support 5GHz.  Of the current models, the Streaming Stick+, Ultra,  Streambar, and Soundbar are dual-band.  Assuming you're in the U.S., you can see the current players here:  https://www.roku.com/products/players

When you look at a product's details go down to "Networking" and look for "dual-band wireless".

There may be older models out there on a retailer's shelves that also support 5GHz.  I don't know about the TVs.

As a final note, you don't need your Roku to support 100Mbps.  None of them will use that much speed through the Internet.  Locally maybe, but not via any of the common services.  You might just want to stick with what you have and only get new Roku if necessary.  That 100Mbps is more of a gimmick than anything.  I doubt you'll notice any difference in your Internet speed.