Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kilroyjc
Level 7

What are the internet speed requirements for RoKu? Will DSL work?

Jump to solution

I cannot find any specifications for minimum speed requirements.

Our DSL is about 1.1MBPS down/700k up.  On a good day we might —MIGHT— break 1.2 MBPS down.

Is there a definitive specification? I really want to ditch our satellite service (which just went up AGAIN and they are dropping one of our favorite channels.)

I am on the waiting list for StarLink. . . But don’t expect it any time soon. . .

Thanks for any info!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyross
Level 16

Re: What are the internet speed requirements for RoKu? Will DSL work?

Jump to solution

If you want HD, you will probably need a few Mbit. 4K tops out around 16-20Mbit. It should work with your speed, but you may be limited to SD quality depending on the service.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4\
andyross
Level 16

Jump to solution

If you want HD, you will probably need a few Mbit. 4K tops out around 16-20Mbit. It should work with your speed, but you may be limited to SD quality depending on the service.

0 Kudos
kilroyjc
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you!  We are perfectly fine with 1080 on our 10-year-old Toshiba, and 720 is certainly better than a blank screen if worse comes to worse.

0 Kudos
Strega
Level 17

Jump to solution

1080 and 720 are HD resolutions.  SD is 480.  I ran a Roku on DSL as kind of a "proof of concept" but I wouldn't want to watch that routinely.  Your tolerance level may vary.

0 Kudos
MilesT
Level 14

Jump to solution

Any HD streaming solution is likely to buffer. Netflix say min of 2mb I think 

Your connection will do "SD" I.e. 480p at best, even that will still buffer and lag.

Decent video will need to be DVD, Blueray, and ATSC (DVB outside of NA) over the air/via satellite.

Satellite internet is starting to become affordable and will do a better job.  Or a decent 4g/5g mobile data connection (using a high grade router and maybe an external antenna).

Not a Roku employee
0 Kudos