Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OnyxDelta
Level 7

WPA2 Passphrase with Caret Symbol Causes Error 014

Hello, this is my first time posting here.  I recently began setting up multiple Roku Ultra devices on my network and I think I may have found a bug regarding WiFi connections.
Steps to reproduce:
1. Select the target WiFi network and begin to enter the password.
2. Enter any valid password containing the caret symbol (^).
3. Press enter and receive an error 014.
Before this error is generated, the device does not appear to attempt to connect to the network as a red "X" is displayed immediately.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
atc98092
Level 13

Re: WPA2 Passphrase with Carrot Symbol Causes Error 014

That's the caret  Smiley Very Happy
Roku is not alone in not supporting all special characters. I even have some work government web sites that won't allow some special characters. It's not a bug, just a design consideration. It's possible that the caret is used in their OS as something special, and can't be used as a user entry.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos
OnyxDelta
Level 7

Re: WPA2 Passphrase with Carrot Symbol Causes Error 014

"atc98092" wrote:
That's the caret  Smiley Very Happy
Roku is not alone in not supporting all special characters. I even have some work government web sites that won't allow some special characters. It's not a bug, just a design consideration. It's possible that the caret is used in their OS as something special, and can't be used as a user entry.

You're right, I fixed it.  Also, I guess that makes sense.  I was just confused since it allowed me to enter the character and failed somewhat silently.
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Re: WPA2 Passphrase with Caret Symbol Causes Error 014

Yep, you're right. If a character isn't allowed, it shouldn't be available on the keyboard. Or at the least tell you it won't work when you try to enter it. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos