Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BRENERDA

WIFI strength is excellent. On both my ROKU sticks, it keeps telling me connection is lost.

I have two ROKU "streaming sticks+ HD/4K/HDR. Both are connected to a TV within 20 feet of modem. Signal strength is excellent. Over the past months, often several times a day, I get the message to "retry" or setup connection. If I reset the connection, it returns to normal only to again get the "retry" message.  Other times I unplug the cable to the ROKU and/or disconnect the stick. The problem continues sometimes within an hour, Other times the next day. Frankly I assume it is a ROKU system problem and not a stick as both are doing it. Of course it could be my WIFI source problem, but as I said the signal is excellent. Our computers are not impacted. WIFI signal is never dropped on computer. Any help appreciated.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Alan77
Reel Rookie

Re: WIFI strength is excellent. On both my ROKU sticks, it keeps telling me connection is lost.

I'm having same problem

0 Kudos
RokuKariza-D
Retired Moderator

Re: WIFI strength is excellent. On both my ROKU sticks, it keeps telling me connection is lost.

Hi @BRENERDA @Alan77

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community.

Could you tell us who your internet service provider is? If it's Comcast or ATT, we would recommend changing your router settings for the 2.4 GHz band from g/n to b/g/n, as customers have stated that this helped resolve their issue.

Let us know if there's any difference after.

All the best,
Kariza

Kariza D.
Roku Forum Moderator
0 Kudos
BRENERDA

Thanks. Misery loves company. Have you spoken to ROKU about it or ruled out your wifi source as a problem.

0 Kudos
BRENERDA

Thanks. My wifi is provided by Kinetic/Windsteam in Lancaster County, PA. I will try to make the change suggested and get back to you.

0 Kudos
BRENERDA

Had long discussion with Windstream/Kinetic.  My two streaming sticks are set at 2.4 and b/g/n. Their experience was, that over time, the ROKU stick may need to be replaced. So my question is how long is a streaming stick supposed to last. My newest one dates back to 2020.  I find it hard to believe that it is less than 3 years,

0 Kudos
Tommy_UK
Reel Rookie

Been having the same issue in the UK with Vodafone being our home broadband provider, and not long been upgraded to a new router. Other devices haven't dropped connection and I've run successful pings to 1.1.1.1 during times the roku box has said it has lost connection.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

@Tommy_UK, since you're in the UK where different Wi-Fi channels are available than in the US make sure your Wi-Fi channel isn't set to "Auto".  Choose a 2.4GHz channel from 1 to 11 or, preferably if you have a dual-band Roku, a 5GHz channel below 50 or above 150.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Tommy_UK
Reel Rookie

I've split our wifi to 5ghz and 2.4ghz to see if we get stability. So far so good. Will report back any ongoing issues.

0 Kudos
Alan77
Reel Rookie

I have been using this roku stick with the same wifi for a couple of  years. I'm thinking the stick is no longer working. Not sure how long they last.

0 Kudos