Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Referee
Level 7

WIFI DISABLED August 2020

After I plug in my Roku stick Into my Tv the home wifi on my laptop stops working right away. How can I have the Roku stick in my TV and still use the home wifi for my laptop. 

0 Kudos
6 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: WIFI DISABLED August 2020

@Referee wrote:

After I plug in my Roku stick Into my Tv the home wifi on my laptop stops working right away. How can I have the Roku stick in my TV and still use the home wifi for my laptop. 

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now.

The only thing I can think of is that your router may only be capable of juggling a specific number of connected devices at one time.  My router, for instance, says it can manage 25 connected devices.  It seems unlikely, but perhaps connecting the Roku pushes the router over the limit of what it can handle.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
ChefZ
Level 9

0 Kudos
ChefZ
Level 9

0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@makaiguy wrote:

@Referee wrote:

I've been thinking about this for a couple of days now.

The only thing I can think of is that your router may only be capable of juggling a specific number of connected devices at one time.  My router, for instance, says it can manage 25 connected devices.  It seems unlikely, but perhaps connecting the Roku pushes the router over the limit of what it can handle.

If you have a wireless network, more than likely, you won't  have a router. Most modems today have built in routers. Unless you have broadband Internet instead of High Speed Internet. 

0 Kudos
makaiguy
Level 20

@C_I wrote:

If you have a wireless network, more than likely, you won't  have a router. Most modems today have built in routers. Unless you have broadband Internet instead of High Speed Internet. 

In which case you STILL have a router, it's just built into a common unit.  Now whether your ISP lets you tinker with the router's configuration is another issue altogether.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
C_I
Level 12

@makaiguy wrote:

@C_I wrote:

In which case you STILL have a router, it's just built into a common unit.  Now whether your ISP lets you tinker with the router's configuration is another issue altogether.

And yes, ROKU does have a different ISP than your wireless or internet networks. 

0 Kudos