Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Daveregan
Level 7

Using Roku app when tethers to iphone

I stream TV/movies through my roku device using my iPhone (tethered) for wireless data. This works great. When trying to use the roku app as a remote or private listening, I get an error that I need to be connected to WiFi.  Is there a work-around. I have no reliable WiFi (hence the tethering). 

2 Replies
makaiguy
Level 20

Re: Using Roku app when tethers to iphone

The Roku mobile app can only connect to a Roku unit via wifi. The phone and Roku must both be connected to the same local wifi network. I would have guessed a tethered wifi connection would have served, but I guess the tethering only serves as a wifi network for the connected device, not for the phone itself.

• Roku Streaming Stick +, 3810X, Ser YH0059427035, wifi - Samsung UN55ES6100
  • Roku Streaming Stick, 3600X, Ser 5S56D8240827, wifi - JVC EM37T
  • TCL Roku TV 43S425/C107X, Ser X000001R60KV, wifi
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 21

Re: Using Roku app when tethers to iphone

Yep, when a phone is configured as a hotspot, it uses the WiFi radio to be the access point. So technically while the phone and the Roku are on the same network, the hotspot is firewalled off from the phone, so the app doesn't see an available network. No way around it I'm afraid. 

Dan
Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Ultra (4670), Ultra (4800), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Nvidia Shield, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
0 Kudos