Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jennyb74
Reel Rookie

Using Data

Jump to solution

I'm not very tech savvy. Are there any Roku devices that support cell phone data? Therefore eliminating the need for wifi. I already have a Roku and it's an older model but am willing to purchase an updated model if I can cancel my wifi plan and just use my cell phone data. Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Using Data

Jump to solution

No Roku can connect to the cell phone network, but some people do use their phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and connect to that.  Be aware that videos use a lot of data and you should read the fine print on your cell phone plan.  Most "unlimited" data plans severely limit the speed after so much data has been used to the point where it would be useless for streaming video.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Strega
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

No Roku that I have heard of connects to cellular networks.  Some people hotspot their phones, but many find out that their "unlimited" cell plan is only "unlimited" in marketing speak. (ie: it slows WAY down after some number like 35GB.)

renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

No Roku can connect to the cell phone network, but some people do use their phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and connect to that.  Be aware that videos use a lot of data and you should read the fine print on your cell phone plan.  Most "unlimited" data plans severely limit the speed after so much data has been used to the point where it would be useless for streaming video.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Lina1
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

thanks, for information.

0 Kudos
239W20

Cellphone Data Streaming - Lowering Picture Quality, Lowering Data usage?

Jump to solution

Does anyone know if there is a way to stream a lower quality picture either with a system preference on iPhone or directly with ROKU?

0 Kudos