Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Use a router to restrict data bit rate to ROKU devices?

I had used the secret menu to adjust the data bit rate my three ROKU devices were using. I have a limit through XFinity and when I discovered that internal fix, I was able to stay under my limits. Apparently the recent ROKU update will no longer allow me to throttle the data bit rate through the ROKU devices. Can I control the data bit rate to ROKU devices with my Motorola modem/router instead? ROKU is eating up all my data!

Paul M

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Chicken
Level 8

Re: Use a router to restrict data bit rate to ROKU devices?

How about setting the screen resolution to a lower value and/or powering off the Roku while it's not being used?  Yes, it adds up quickly!
0 Kudos

Definitely learned to return to home screen before turning off. When you say reduce, how do you do that? Through ROKU set up?
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

If you have a 4k TV or 1080 TV, have it set to 4k or 1080p, reduce Display settings on Roku to 720p. That Bit Rate setting never really worked anyways, especially with Netflix, Amazon, and all the other major streaming providers. I assume Roku got rid of it finally because of that reason (plus it was for developers using the older programming language for Roku anyways).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos

Got it. Will try it when I get home. You’ve found that does reduce the data useage?
0 Kudos
trekkeriii
Level 10

"PaulMontgomery4" wrote:
Got it. Will try it when I get home. You’ve found that does reduce the data useage?

I can't speak to that since my ISP took away the monitoring feature of my data usage (and is unlimited anyways). But, it's using the 720p streams when set to 720p, so definitely less data usage.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
0 Kudos

Appreciate the suggestion. Will try it out!
0 Kudos
SmilingBob
Level 7

If your router supports 3rd party open-source firmware you might be able to flash it and do what you are wanting.  I do this with ours using freshtomato firmware and it lets me set per client bandwidth and throttle down maximum throughput accordingly.
0 Kudos

Thank you for the suggestion.
0 Kudos