Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
slofties
Level 7

Upgraded to mesh router, Roku connects but channels dysfunctional

I just got an Orbi router (AC2200 https://www.netgear.com/orbi/rbk22.aspx). So far every other device (laptop, phones, tablets) connect and function properly. However, my two Roku 3 (4200X) devices do not.

The Roku says it is connected to the network, but when I go to home screen, most of the channel icons are broken. When I go to a channel, for example Netflix, all the different show icons are broken and when I click through to play, I get an error that the content is unavailable. I get similar results on Amazon Prime TV and another random channel I tried. When I disconnect the Orbi and reconnect my old router and connect the Roku to it, all is fine with the world (at least as far as it is concerned).
Troubleshooting I've tried:

• Reconnecting to network

• Hard reset of Roku (using reset button on device)

• Renaming network on Orbi (I had initially chosen the same network name and pwd as old router to avoid redoing all my device logins)

There may be more troubleshooting steps I did but those are the main ones I can think of now. 

Setup:

• Roku 3 (4200X)

• Software version 9.0.0 build 4084-04

• Fios fiber optic w/ speed testing ~89 Mbps

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DBDukes
Level 9

Re: Upgraded to mesh router, Roku connects but channels dysfunctional

I don't have that brand router -- mine's Google -- but I'm getting good performance from my setup.

I will offer this: When you do a factory reset from the reset button, ensure you hold the button for no less than 30 seconds, regardless of anything you see on the screen. Apart from that, you might want to look at your DNS settings. Did your old router use your ISP's DNS servers?
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
slofties
Level 7

My old router did get DNS settings from ISP. New router has an IP address.
0 Kudos
DBDukes
Level 9

"slofties" wrote:
My old router did get DNS settings from ISP. New router has an IP address.

You should be able to get the IP address from the ISP and try that. Of course, you'll want to be able to put it back if necessary.

Or, try Google 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4 https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Or another DNS server.

But first, I'd try the same one the previous router was using.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
0 Kudos
slofties
Level 7

Thanks, I'll try that.
0 Kudos
ghb51
Level 8

I don't have a mesh network, so this might be useless, but if there's a way to see which devices are connected to which access point you might check to make sure everything is functional on the one the Roku is using, there could be a problem between the stations causing loss of internet access while still being connected to your home network.
0 Kudos
slofties
Level 7

Sorry for the lag in responding, been pretty busy past few days. Tried the DNS solution and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the help!
0 Kudos

I have a same issue on my router I use before it didn't get their right responds for Roku, I try to connect to other network but my recent IP address: 192.168.1.1 doesn't fit. How can I fix it?
0 Kudos