Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StreamerUser
Roku Guru

Re: Upgraded to Wifi 6 router and Roku will NOT connect to the internet. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING....

Jump to solution

@Chingaderas 

You can try disabling any built-in security for the router:

1) Turn off any ad-blocker

2) Turn off: firewall/turn it to the lowest setting, Network Service Filter

3) Turn off:  AiMesh, AiProtection Pro, Malicious site blocking, 2 Way IPS, Infected Device Prevention and Blocking

4)  See if Roku connects

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Re: Upgraded to Wifi 6 router and Roku will NOT connect to the internet. I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING....

Jump to solution

@atc98092 

That would make sense. The Roku is functioning properly when I switch to mobile hotspot. the only outlier is Asus at this point. I was on the phone with their level 1 technicians and they could get it to work with all the different system settings changes either. Of course, now Asus are digging deeper and will get back to me about the issue. 

0 Kudos
Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@AvsGunnar 

I just ordered a Roku Ultra. It arrives today. I will see if the 5Ghz band works. If not I will use ethernet while Asus troubleshoot on their end. 

I Will definitely update you with the resolution. 

Chingaderas
Binge Watcher

Jump to solution

@StreamerUser 

I will try doing these steps later today when I get the Roku ultra in the mail. I'll let you know how it goes after attempting everything you mentioned. 

Thanks 

0 Kudos
pijanic74
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

The Roku is functioning properly once I transfer to cell hotspot. The best outlier is Asus at this point. I changed into on the cellphone with their degree 1 technicians and they might get here to paintings with all of the unique machine settings modifications either. Of direction, now Asus are digging deeper and will get  returned to me about the problem.

0 Kudos
Devereiii831
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Any resolution to this?  .. I have the same issue where my Roku Streaming Stick+ won't see my 5Ghz SSID, but it will see my 2.4Ghz and connect to it. Of course I'd rather have it connect to the 5Ghz.

Worked fine on my old ASUS AC3200 router. Where I now see this issue is with my new ASUS RT-AX82U WiFi 6 Router. I tried disabling WiFi 6; setting the 5Ghz radio from AUTO to B/G/N (Haven't tried N only though); tried turning on 160Mhz and AUTO DLC(sp?) -  At one point my 5Ghz SSID DID show up on the Roku, but when I went to sign in, it failed connecting. It did recognize that it was password protected.

There HAS to be some setting combo that I'm missing.  

Robert

0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@Devereiii831, check the 5GHz channel your router is using.  If it's set to "Auto", change it to a fixed channel 49 or below or 150 or above.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Devereiii831
Reel Rookie

Jump to solution

Renojim!

That fixed my issue. I set the channel above 150 and it worked.

Thank you! 

0 Kudos
ChristophKaye
Channel Surfer

Jump to solution

Our newly installed Asus RT-AX86U would not play well with our Roku Streaming Stick+.  It could find and connect with the 2.4 GHz band but failed repeatedly to connect with the 5 GHz Band. 

I tried restarting the router and the Roku Stick, of course to no avail.

I tried disabling the AIProtection, but this accomplished nothing.

I tried setting the Control Channel as noted in the posts above, but this didn't help, either.

One thing I noticed was there was no padlock icon associated with our 5GHz wireless, despite the SSID being password protected. 

I then set the Password Authentication to WPA2/WPA3-Personal.

Voilà.

Having done so I was able to connect to our 5GHz wireless connection (the padlock icon also now appearing).

From here I reset the Control Channel to its previous setting.

Connection lost.

Control Channel set above 150, and the Connection is made, no further issues.

Tags (1)
AvsGunnar
Community Streaming Expert

Jump to solution

@ChristophKaye 

Thanks for posting what worked for you.  Always appreciated.

The Roku devices will require WPA2-Personal authentication to work.  Likely the default setting was originally configured to WPA3-Personal.  Your router will now recognize both WPA2 and WPA3-Personal in your current configuration.

Again, thanks for your detailed posting.  👍

Roku Community Streaming Expert
Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102