Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gust0208
Level 7

Unable to do initial software update - error 005

Jump to solution

Hello,

I just bought a Roku Stick+ and I am unable to set it up due to it always failing the software update step right after selecting my default language. I have verified my internet is working on multiple other devices, and have tried multiple WiFi networks, but same error 005. This means I basically have a useless stick at this point.

Please help.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
atc98092
Level 13

Re: Unable to do initial software update - error 005

Jump to solution
Do you have the ability to try a different Internet source, such as a phone hotspot, or trying it at someone else's home? If it continues to fail, then I would agree to return it and get another one. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
gust0208
Level 7

Jump to solution
It appears to be an error in the Roku system software. I entered the “secret screen” and it shows “Software Update Server: release”.

So it is not my connection, it is the Roku doesn’t know where the update server is and I have no way to update this. Do I need to return my Roku Stick+?
0 Kudos
atc98092
Level 13

Jump to solution
Do you have the ability to try a different Internet source, such as a phone hotspot, or trying it at someone else's home? If it continues to fail, then I would agree to return it and get another one. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution
Thanks for letting us know what you're seeing. A few questions here to better understand what you're experiencing: 

- Have you tried connecting the device to a different wireless network, such as a mobile hotspot, then going through the setup process? 
- Where are you currently located? 
- What URL are you using when linking your device during the setup process? 

You might try opening another browser tab in the same browser window, scrolling to the bottom of the page, and changing the location to United States. Then, visit https://my.roku.com/link once more, and try to link your device again. 

Feel free to PM me with your Roku account email address and the serial number of the Roku device you are trying to activate if you're still having trouble, and we'll see what else we can do to help. 

Thanks,
Tanner
Tanner D.
Roku Community Manager
0 Kudos
gust0208
Level 7

Jump to solution
Thank you for the help everyone.

I was able to successfully download the update using my phone as a hotspot. This surprised me since I have a fairly basic home network setup, but definitely suggests something on my router.

I am located in Minnesota, USA.

My router is a tp-link Archer C5400.
0 Kudos