Network - Wireless & Wired Connections

Help & troubleshooting for network issues, including connecting your device to your home Wi-Fi network, connecting to public networks, troubleshooting wireless issues & ethernet connections, and optimizing streaming performance.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jamswift
Level 8

Unable to detect wireless

Hello! For some reason my Roku Express is no longer detecting wifi. Wifi is working fine. Have tried rebooting router and restarting the Roku several times. Guidance?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AvsGunnar
Level 10

Re: Unable to detect wireless

What is the model number of your Express?

Settings...System..About.... Model #

Also when you go to Settings...Network.... does selecting SCAN AGAIN help?

Is your Express seeing the Network, but not connecting; or is the Express not seeing the Network.

All the Express models operate on your 2.4gz band of the network, so need to make sure it is Enabled and broadcasting.  You may have to reconfigure some router/network configurations (do you know how to configure your router?)

0 Kudos
jamswift
Level 8

Model # Roku Express HD streaming 2019

I have tried scan again MULTIPLE times. It is not seeing my network, but my network is working fine. Nothing has changed, just ceased to find network.  

I have not changed anything on my router. I do not know how to configure my router. But I don't know why I'd need to, because nothing has changed.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar
Level 10

@jamswift wrote:

Model # Roku Express HD streaming 2019

I have tried scan again MULTIPLE times. It is not seeing my network, but my network is working fine. Nothing has changed, just ceased to find network.  

I have not changed anything on my router. I do not know how to configure my router. But I don't know why I'd need to, because nothing has changed.

I am assuming then you have the Express 3930 .(If you had gone to the Settings, as suggested, it should have provided that info...not provided the results Roku Express HD.)  In order to troubleshoot, you kind of have to follow the suggestions provided or you are going to have difficulty resolving the problem.

Although you have not changed anything on your router, some routers have automatic settings that manage your network.  Sometimes these automatic settings change themselves, or are no longer optimized for your needs. Almost all routers are dual band, they have both a 2.4gz band and a 5gz band.  For the Express to work, you have to verify that the 2.4gz band of your network is enabled and broadcasting (maybe look for an LED at your router showing you this is happening).  You also need that 2.4gz to be broadcasting on a frequency channel from within the router 1 through 11.  I would also assume the default protocols in your router are b/g/n.  If you are able to manually configure, verify, and change these settings, then easier to rule out a network vs device issue.   If any of these things got changed (even w/o your knowledge or you physically doing anything), it will affect your Express seeing the 2.4gz network and vice-versa.

Assuming network is working properly, you have really two options left since you have rebooted router and your Express repeatedly w/o success.

1. Try disabling the Device Connect feature from within Roku.  (Settings..System..Advanced System Settings...Device Connect...Disable Device Connect).  Then do a System Restart of your Roku Express.

If that fails, then do a factory reset of your Express. (Settings..System..Advanced System Settings...Factory Reset.)  CAUTION: make sure you have a working Roku Remote if you do this. This is kind of a last resort though since you have to go through Setup again.

You really need to verify that your 2.4gz network is broadcasting though.  This is your first step in troubleshooting the problem.  Without this verification, you are going in circles.  Need to narrow down network issue or device issue.

Post back your progress and maybe others have some more suggestions for you.

0 Kudos