Wi-Fi & connectivity

Having Roku connectivity problems? Get the help and troubleshooting tips you need for Roku wireless connection issues, ethernet connections, and more.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to wireless network

My year old Roku randomly just stopped working a few days ago and now cannot connect to a wireless network. I've restarted my router (even though my bedroom roku and all other internet-connected devices are working fine), restarted the Roku as well to no avail. I finally resorted to a factory reset and it STILL won't connect. Very frustrated and am looking for assistance. I hope I dont need to go buy a new roku every year.

0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Unable to connect to wireless network

Do you get any error message?  Who is your ISP (Internet service provider)?

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
clarku19
Reel Rookie

Hello. I am having the same issue. Roku Premiere was working fine, no issues, for the last 2 months. Now suddenly will not detect the home wireless network. It also does not detect it if I type in the credentials manually, instead of doing a scan for networks.

I have tried resetting anything I can think of, or suggestions I have found online. Oddly, as a test, I set up a mobile hot spot and Roku did detect that (although, not a strong signal). But, of course, I do not want to also connect via a mobile hot spot.

I have also done all of the following, but with no luck:  "Make sure the 2.4Ghz SSID is enabled, and manually configure it to channel 1 or 6 or 11, make sure the mode is N/AC (disable any legacy B mode), and 20Mhz width (some of these settings may be in an "advanced wireless" section)."

Model: 3920EU - Roku Premier
Software: 10.5.0 build 4208-91
Error 014.30

Thoughts? Thank you.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@clarku19 

Your Roku Premiere 3920 EU is only capable of connecting to the 2.4ghz band.  Try configuring your 2.4ghz band to reflect the settings below and see if that helps you connect.

-----

2.4 GHZ BAND

1. Radio is On/Enabled
2. SSID (network name) is On/Broadcasting
3. Network Mode/Protocol is set to b/g/n (Mixed Mode)
4. Bandwidth/Channel Width is set to 20mhz
5. Wireless Channel is set between 1 and 11 (preferably 1, 6 , or 11). Try changing and using different channels.  Roku cannot see or use 12,13,14.

* Restart both your Router and your Roku after making above changes.

--------

Feel free to post back with an update or if you have more questions.  Since you are able to connect via hotspot, hopefully a network setting.  Being the Premiere 3920, however, cannot rule out that the internal antenna and internal hardware is wearing out, thus contributing to your issue. 

Just another Roku user... I am not a Roku employee.
Insignia RokuTV, Ultra 4660, Premiere+ 3921, Express 4k+ 3941, Streambar 9102

0 Kudos
clarku19
Reel Rookie

Hello.

Thank you for the suggestions. I had already tried various settings, but tried them all again after your post. However, none of them solved the issue.

I also varied settings for "WPA/WPA2-Personal" security and "AES vs TKIP vs Auto" encryption.

As a test, I also took the Roku to another residence and it saw the wireless details there no problem. However, the Roku was right next to the wireless router too.

We bought this Roku new (via Amazon) in November 2021. So only a few months ago. There were no issues for the first couple months, and nothing has changed since. I would certainly hope that it is already not wearing out.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Phones, laptops, tablets, etc. still connect with no issues to the wireless.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@clarku19 

I see your response regarding trying "various settings", but am now unclear as to how your settings are now currently on your 2.4ghz band.

Are you able to post a screenshot regarding the recommended settings mentioned above?  

If there is no way to move the router closer to the Premiere or vice versa to replicate your neighbor's setup and eliminate a weak signal issue, personally, I would factory reset my Router and get everything set back default.

Honestly, since you are able to connect to a mobile hotspot and connect to an alternative network, it appears that either the 2.4ghz band may be disabled on your router or configured improperly for the Roku device.  (Are you sure your other devices are connecting to your 2.4ghz band or is it possible they are connecting to your 5ghz band?)

If the Roku Premiere is seeing your network but not connecting, you can also try disabling your wifi password temporarily to see if password issue.

The first two things is to verify that the 2.4ghz band is actually working and broadcasting, and that the password is not the issue by disabling it temporarily. (create open network).  Alternatively, you can create a guest network on the 2.4ghz band without password which will serve the same purpose for testing. (Just give it a unique name so you recognize it).

0 Kudos
clarku19
Reel Rookie

Hello.

After further settings tests, I am able to get the Roku to see the wireless again...but only as a very poor connection. As a reminder, nothing has changed with how things were previously for the first couple months when Roku had no issues connecting to our wireless with a very strong connection.

So I am at a loss as to what the issue is, except that as you mentioned maybe the Roku is just wearing out. Already...which would be unfortunate.

I have attached screen settings for how the wireless is set up now...but only resulting in poor connection, and so poor that Roku is unusable. 

I have tried numerous settings, guest networks, etc. I think the Roku is just wearing out...

TP-Link.JPG

0 Kudos
Streamer317
Roku Guru

@clarku19  At least you tried all the things you could. Unfortunately the Roku you purchased is a budget model and out of warranty. Sometimes it is best to cut your losses and go out and buy a new Roku. But don't get another budget model. A Roku Streaming 4K will work great. It is also dual band. 

0 Kudos
AvsGunnar

@clarku19 

Last troublesome connection may be the Airtime Fairness option.  This setting basically allocates resources between connected devices.  Try disabling that setting and then reset both Roku device and Router again.

Other than that, settings look good and I would start to conclude that the Premiere is probably having an internal problem.  Since this device is less than a year old, should qualify for warranty replacement. (https://support.roku.com/article/208757058 and https://support.roku.com/search/warranty).

---

Unfortunately, @clarku19, I think you have a defective device there.  As mentioned before, the 3920 does seem to have some problems and losing signal strength to low levels is a primary indicator of device failure.  

0 Kudos
clarku19
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the replies. We are now in the process of discussing warranty replacement with Roku.

I appreciate your help and suggestions.

0 Kudos